Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Converting Small Bedroom to Bath

Hello,

I'm in the "thinking about it" stage of possibly renovating a small bedroom into a bathroom in my parent's house.

Their house, a 1900 square foot home, built in 1802, was an apartment house, and my parents purchased it in an abandoned state. They had it completely renovated into a single-family home in 1968. The house has 5 bedrooms, one of which is downstairs (which would be considered an office for resale purposes) and four upstairs. They are quite large for an old house, at 17x12, 14x12, and 13x10.

The smallest bedroom is about 12x10, but has a sloping ceiling about 2/3 of the room. That would limit the placement of the tub/shower. This bedroom is right above the kitchen, and there is a chase (for the bath medicine cabinet downstairs, and another, on the other side of the chimney, which is a seldom used bathroom closet) which I could run the waste line down, and supply lines up.

The problems that I foresee are:

1. The joists (at least from what I can see in the basement) are hand-hewn 2"x6" joists which are sistered with dimensional 2x6's when the house was renovated. Will I have enough clearance to get the closet bend in the 2x6 joist space?
  2. I will have to open up the wall behind the toilet (where the waste stack will be dropping down through the chase) to bring a vent line up. There is no attic access in this house.

Also, there is a cast iron main drain which passes through the foundation to an external clean out and a vent line which runs externally, up the corner of the house. I haven't yet checked to see if this portion of piping is even connected to anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by NTL1991; 06-06-2012 at 04:04 PM.
NTL1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
DIY staff

That bath will sure add to the house.

It looks like the roof is right there---so punching in a vent becomes fairly straight forward after you demo the old plaster.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That bath will sure add to the house.

It looks like the roof is right there---so punching in a vent becomes fairly straight forward after you demo the old plaster.
That's true, the roof is about 4 feet above the top of the wall behind the toilet. Luckily all the walls are drywall, and hopefully, I'd only have to remove a narrow section behind the toilet for the plumbing, and one behind the sink for the electrical wiring. I tried to keep the plumbing in one small area, so I don't have to tear the entire subfloor up.

The floors joists are original (but sistered), and every interior walls is brand new. The house was gutted to the four exterior walls, insulated, wired, plumbed, and drywalled.

Thanks,
Nick
The Following User Says Thank You to NTL1991 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
DIY staff

I build a lot of bathrooms--that one you have designed willwork--plumbing in old buildings tends to take a lot longer to install

But the end result will be worth the effort.

Post pictures if and when the project gets rolling.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I build a lot of bathrooms--that one you have designed willwork--plumbing in old buildings tends to take a lot longer to install

But the end result will be worth the effort.

Post pictures if and when the project gets rolling.
I guess it takes more finessing when your working in an existing room on the second floor. I'd imagine a first floor bathroom with an unfinished basement is a piece of cake just from the plumbing clearance side of things... (But then again, you have to deal with finding somewhere to run your vent line from the first floor through the roof, too, unless you can get away with an AAV)

Any suggestions with the design. It's definately not set in stone or anything; I threw it together in about an hour... I'm sure I must've missed something.

A requirement for them is a tub/shower combo, and with the way the rooms and doorways are laid out, there really isn't much I can do with its position. The toilet and sink can be moved, but I think have to put the toilet there to ensure a short run and avoid clearance issues with the joists.

Nick
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
DIY staff

Lay out the new bath using blue painters tale on the floor of the room---that works for me---

I typically build custom shower bases,so I have a few more options with size and design.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

I like your design. I like the fact the toilet is not the first thing you see.
Two minor things.
The window as is gives too good a view. If it is an existing one you probably want to use a window film. Otherwise position it to cut the view.
I would also consider a longer vanity. I would leave the sink and mirror where it is, but have the counter go all the way to the wall. IMHO it give a more finished look (not to mention more storage).

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (06-07-2012)