Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Converting Plaster to drywall

First time homeowner and DIYer so please bear with me. So I recently took down old plaster and lathe walls in a room that I wanted to swith to drywall. After I already demo'd the old walls I realized that the drywall wouldn't be as wide as the old plaster. Luckily I didn't get rid of all the demo material and I figure that I can use the old lathe. I plan renailing them verically on the studs that way it can help offset the depth situation. Is this a good plan? Any suggestions or any other pointers would be much appreciated.

ryanm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,926

Adding furring strip to the face of the studs is a good way to do it---if the old lath is the right thickness then your good.

sometimes a table saw is used to make strip of the correct thickness---

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 676

I would use furring strips or rip down some new wood to the right thickness instead of using the old lathe. It will probably provide a more uniform surface to attach the sheetrock to. I would attach it with construction adhesive and then the sheetrock screws could go straight through into the studs.

Just wondering, what is the reason you ripped out all of the plaster?
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I think you will be fine using the old lathe strips. I recently did the same thing, and it came out very well.

I intend to take out all of the old plaster in my house. When we bought it there were multiple active leaks in the roof, and I'm not interested in waiting up to seven years for the old plaster to dry out...
Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

There's 0 need to use constrution adhesive on the lath, pretty sure the sheetrock screws will hold it tight to the wall when you install the sheetrock.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There's 0 need to use constrution adhesive on the lath, pretty sure the sheetrock screws will hold it tight to the wall when you install the sheetrock.
I agree but you need to use something to hold the Lath in place before you put up the sheetrock and by using the adhesive you insure you don't have anything in the way to be hit by the screws.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I find that drywall screws split the lath, not lathe- as in school metal shop, easier to use a 1/4" crown stapler or a finish nail.
Be sure to caulk the sheathing/stud joint (if ext. walls) unless boards- for air sealing if using fiberglass insulation. Cavity air movement will degrade it by 66% and form convective loops. Foam/caulk any wiring/plumbing holes in either plate and studs cross-linking. Use ADA; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Gary
Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Well we just bought an old house. The room we were using as a toy room for our children was starting to chip paint in a corner. So we tried to just chip away some of the paint but then a big chunk of plaster came out with the paint. Instead of just fixing the plaster I decided it wouldn't be that hard to tear down the old plaster and put up drywall instead. Needless to say it has been a lot more work than I thought.
ryanm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,152

You bought an old houe, what did you expect?
The only thing that works in an old house is the owner.
You've only neen the tip of the iceburg.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

"Needless to say it has been a lot more work than I thought."------- LOL. Isn't that the truth! Allow yourself 3 times what you were going to tell your wife it takes and it will only take twice as long.......

Congratulations! At least you have a vast volume of experiences and knowledge at these forums to draw on.

Gary
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Just curious - what part of the project is making it a problem that the new drywall is thinner than the old plaster? The board at the bottom? You could just take that out as well.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

I am going to add that I have been through the same thing. For me the first time really taking on projects of this nature was 2 years ago. Our home is 1904 with wood lathe and plaster.
I went and started ripping down some plaster on a few walls and ceilings that had cracks. I found that it took so much work to rip them down that it made me think.... if I am working so hard to tear them down there is no way the will fall down. Sounds like you may have other issues with this though.
I would like to encourage you to research on how to repair plaster, there is a lot of information out there. I can forward you links and share what I have learned if you would like.
Since then I have changed my renovation plan from demolition/destruction to repair and the difference has been almost night and day.

Don't get me wrong, still a lot of work.

Be careful with the paint, could be lead, with children or pregnant women this is especially dangerous.
Read/research, read/research, read/research....
You will be glad you did.

Jeffrey

jefsboys is offline   Reply With Quote