Converting To LED Lighting - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Converting to LED lighting

I am in the process of converting my recessed lighting to LED. There are a total of 6 lights currently on a decora maestro dimmer. I know the conventional dimmers will not work with LED or CFL. I went to the store to purchase a new compatible dimmer. I can't find a comparable LED dimmer rated more than 150 watts (or 3 50w LED lights). Short of installing a second switch, is there a dimmer I can use on the existing circuit (6 LED lights each rated at 50W) with a 600W rating? Thanks to anyone who can give me some advise.

Advertisement

njhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Are you sure about the LED wattage? A 50w LED light is going to put out the equiv of about a 250w incand bulb.

Sure that 50w is not the 'equivalent' wattage?

I have some BR LED bulbs that are about as bright as a 75w...I believe they use 18w each

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhenry
I am in the process of converting my recessed lighting to LED. There are a total of 6 lights currently on a decora maestro dimmer. I know the conventional dimmers will not work with LED or CFL. I went to the store to purchase a new compatible dimmer. I can't find a comparable LED dimmer rated more than 150 watts (or 3 50w LED lights). Short of installing a second switch, is there a dimmer I can use on the existing circuit (6 LED lights each rated at 50W) with a 600W rating? Thanks to anyone who can give me some advise.
You are looking at the equivalent wattage, not the actual. A LED producing the equivalent wattage of a 60watt incandescent will only consume about 8watts. Use that number when selecting a dimmer.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 302

The one thing I noticed when I changed my recessed bulbs to led's is that some switches have a dial in the switch to calibrate the lowest dimmer setting. I guess some led's will buzz or not work right at the lowest setting, so when you install the switch, you put it to the lowest setting and turn the dial until the buzzing stops, then you are set from then on. Here is the switch I used in two locations and haven't had any issues.

http://www.menards.com/main/electric...678-c-6321.htm
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 77

The 150W LED dimmer will work. THere is no way your LED bulbs are consuming 50W each.

Another thing is that a lot of the LED recessed bulbs seem to have a weird delay after flipping the switch, which I find extremely annoying. Something to think about and research.
patented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 302

Yes, he is right, I forgot about that. There's just a half second delay from the time you turn on the light to the time the lights actually come on. It annoys the heck out of me, but I'm getting used to it.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 77

Just as FYI, I have only found the delay to exist on the "integrated" LED units that have the bulb built-in with the trim ring. When I use LED bulbs that just screw in place of incandescents, I have not experienced the delay.

Advertisement

patented is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dimmer , led