DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Contractor built cabinetop that doesnt' fully cover cabinets (

jlynnrubin 12-27-2009 12:24 AM

Contractor built cabinetop that doesnt' fully cover cabinets

I remodeled my kitchen and used a well reputed, well known to me licensed contractor. I selected my cabinets and tile, so then the contractor built the counter top to fit over the lovely maple cabinets, and his friend, a well reputed tileman, did the tile with a lip. However the size of the countertop was such that the cabinets stuck out an inch all around, so when I sponge off my countertop, all the food drops onto the top of the cabinets and by now they are getting moldy and decrepit.

The remodel was a few years ago and I was upset. I had ameeting with present the contractor, the tile person and the cabinetmaker, all well reputed. My contractor insisted that this was an alternative style for kitchen cabinetry and I hadnot specified how I wanted it. He said there was no way to alter it. The cabinet maker could not believe it and disagreed . The tile setter stood up for the contractor.

Now, 3 years later, the tops of the cabinets are messed up and I hate sponging off mycounter tops and feel really upset about how it looks. The counter top, shouldn't it always stick out past the top of the cabinets one inch or so?

My questions are--should I take him to small claims court? Is there a way it can be repaired-they would have to take off the counter top ,make it proper size and retile it, is he responsible to do this?

Please advise, thanks.


Bob Mariani 12-27-2009 06:41 AM

Without specifications in a written contract you most likely have no recourse to sue successfully. To fix this (and yes it is wrong) remove the tile, add a 1 1/2 X 1 board to the edge and re-tile. Countertops are normally 3/4" - 1" overhanging the base cabinets.

Maintenance 6 12-27-2009 07:13 AM

Since you've waited 3 years, I doubt you have much legal ground for a suit, but that can vary state to state. The overhang on a counter top generally extends past the surface of any drawer fronts or door surfaces.

user1007 12-27-2009 09:43 AM

Have lawyers in the family and they need to make a living but all of them would advise you to meet with one like them if you have serious concerns, or consult a legal online site and not this one, to see what options are before working out a way to discuss this with the contractors that will probably be more than happy to engage with you to fix this from all you have said. It sounds like an approach was taken that just has not worked out for you. All involved need to take some responsibility in this?

Even small claims action is probably going to cost you more in money, fees and aggravation than discussions about this with those who can fix it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1