Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Complete Home Reno, new DIYer needs help. :)

Hello all. I posted on here about a year and a half ago planning a complete remodel of a 1913 farm house. Well, work ceased due to relationship. Kicked the *&^%$ to the curb and now time to get this done so I can have a home for me and my kid. I am going to be posting plenty of pics so yall can get the best idea of what im talking about. First off, where do I start. The entire house is going to be redone. I am about finished gutting it and now its time to start the putting back process. I plan on doing this the LEGAL way (with all appropriate permits) and the right way (for the safety of me and my son and our future family). So, please dont give jack leg advice. I am new to all of this and dont really understand a lot of it so please bare with me through this. Any and all replies are more than welcome as long as they are earnest and wont compromise my families life. I'm not stupid, its just takes me a minute to get things from time to time. Thank you all in advance for your replies and look forward to some pics.
Attached Images

Medic507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #2

Sorry the pic is upside down but I got a new phone and dont know how to use it apparently. Going out tomorrow to get some more pics and some better ones. Gonna try to get one of the whole house. It is an 1800 square foot 1913 farm house with a 1200 square foot garage. argh argh argh argh!!!!!!! It will be beautiful when i get finished with it, just go to get finished. First question. Once I get finished with it, what do i start with first? Electrical, plumbing, insulation, roof??????? No idea where to go once it get finished tearing out.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
40+yrs Paint Trades

Rewards Points: 75

It might be a little late considering the demo is done, but you should read up on the new EPA rules concerning LEAD BASED PAINT remodeling, renovation and painting. Though they don't apply to individual homeowners per se, they are good to know and follow to keep from polluting your home and children with lead.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #4

Cool

Sorry I didnt get any more pics today. My son and I decided to have a day for us. I am going to be out there again on Wednesday (work 24 hrs. tomorrow) and I will defnitely get some then. Basically I am working with the shell of a house. The entire interior has been gutted and now its time to start putting back. I just need to know what to start with. I dont want to do it all scatterbrained and doing seven or eight different things at one time. Want to know how its supposed to be done.

@ Hoz: I did the whole lead based paint thing. Also had to do the asbestos test. Clean for asbestos and showed lead paint. Part of the reason it was a complete gut job. That and the inexperience and carelessness of the previous owner. Just too many stories to tell of the things that I found. .
Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
40+yrs Paint Trades

Structural comes first if anything needs fixed, changed or replaced. Plumbing, mechanical and electrical next. Depending on local codes all systems should be inspected prior to "covering them up" with drywall. Then insulation, drywall, finishing, painting and carpet.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
Structural comes first if anything needs fixed, changed or replaced. Plumbing, mechanical and electrical next. Depending on local codes all systems should be inspected prior to "covering them up" with drywall. Then insulation, drywall, finishing, painting and carpet.

So, first comes the framing. I knew that one. So then its plumbing, and im taking by "mechanical" you are referring to heat and ac, then electrical, then insulation, and then drywall cabinets, and all the finishes. Correct?

One more thing. Should I do the outside first or the inside? The outside is extremely old and is just boards nailed directly to the studs. No house wrap, insulation, or anything? I know thats not up to code now, but just wondering what you opinion is.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
40+yrs Paint Trades

Well unless you're going to take all the siding off it's going to be impossible to install house wrap. I'd "tighten up" the exterior first. Repair or replace siding, R U installing new windows?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

Yes, I am putting all new double pane windows in that help keep heat out but let in plent of light. Some thing the guy at Lowes was telling me about that was more efficient than just regular windows. They are supposed to have something between the two panes to help keep heat out. I have no idea what hes talking about but yes, installing everything new except for the framing (except the bad that needs replacing).
Old 11-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
40+yrs Paint Trades

Perhaps you best go down and talk to permits the first thing. Tell them what you are doing and they will advise you on necessary permits.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,004

Exterior is a priority for sure. I would say roof and foundation are of equal importance and should come first. You have to protect from the elements and water intrusion. It seems obvious but I know of a few homeowners in my area that are obviously renovating their interiors when their roof obviously needs replacing first.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #11

good luck with the project and keep us updated
Bobby_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #12

Sounds like were working on similar projects.. Were rebuilding a 110 year old farm house. Same as yours the interior was completly gutted. Parts of it were on the original wood foundation. We raised the house, put in new concrete. In your case start at the base, get everything nice and level, get all the framing done so you can get it dried in. Get your windows in and the roofing on. Then have the HVAC, plumbing, electrical guys come in. Were ready for the roofing an siding now.
RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic507 View Post
Yes, I am putting all new double pane windows in that help keep heat out but let in plent of light. Some thing the guy at Lowes was telling me about that was more efficient than just regular windows....
He is right on this one.
One thing to keep in mind tho, be careful of getting advice from any of the apron stores. Check out anything they tell you with another source. They are not experts, and can often steer you wrong.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

The apron guy probably didn't explain too well. Modern windows have various coatings on them to reduce emissivity; that is, emit energy by radiation (light or heat). This is a good thing, but most people want a lot of visible light to still come through (so they don't feel like they're looking through sunglasses) so he was probably addressing that concern. The second item is the heat transfer, which again is a good thing but in colder climates the window is tuned to actually allow a little more heat to transfer IN, because that passive solar heat during the day in winter will help you a lot more than the little extra heat in the summer will hurt you. In warm climates, this isn't true because you spend a lot more on air conditioning so you want to block as much incoming heat as possible.

The stuff in between the panes is either plain air, argon, or krypton. I don't think anyone leaves their windows full of plain air anymore. It doesn't help much more than having single panes with storm windows. Argon, on the other hand, is a gas that transfers heat very slowly; krypton is more expensive but it does so even more slowly.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #15

Okay, I have run into a problem. I cant upload any of my pictures because it says they are all too large. Any suggestions on somewhere else I can post them to so everyone can view them? is there anyway I can make them smaller?