Which Comes First...door Or Tile? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warminster, PA
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


I am framing out a new wall to separate my heater from my laundry room. Do I install door frame for a bi fold before or after the tile is installed? I also have to install a new door for between my bathroom and laundry room. I will be tiling into both rooms with the same tile.

Advertisement

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


You can do either/or.

Personally, I find it easier to install the tile first, then come back and install the entire door set up together (Jambs, casing, bi-fold doors, mounting brackets/hardware, etc).

Advertisement

__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
General Contractor
 
LakeTahoeDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Tahoe California
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
I am framing out a new wall to separate my heater from my laundry room. Do I install door frame for a bi fold before or after the tile is installed? I also have to install a new door for between my bathroom and laundry room. I will be tiling into both rooms with the same tile.
I always install hardy backer first then doors, then tile. Most prehung doors are made to accommodate the clearance needed for door swing over tile/carpet etc.

Most importantly, if you need to shim one jam leg up off the floor to make the head level then the gap is covered by mortar and tile.

You get a much cleaner look this way. After tile come back and trim/case the doors.
LakeTahoeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoeDan View Post
...Most prehung doors are made to accommodate the clearance needed for door swing over tile/carpet etc.

Most importantly, if you need to shim one jam leg up off the floor to make the head level then the gap is covered by mortar and tile.

You get a much cleaner look this way. After tile come back and trim/case the doors.
I thought that the OP stated that they are installing a bi-fold foor arrangement, not a pre-hung set?
__________________
- Build Well -

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-17-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
DIY Expert in Training!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warminster, PA
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


I will be hanging two pre hungs and a bi fold.
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
I will be hanging two pre hungs and a bi fold.
In that case, the advice given about installing the pre-hungs before tile is good. If you install your jambs and casings for your bi-folds first, then make sure that you allow for the height of the bi fold door panels, the upper glide track, all the pivot-hardware of the door, and also the "L" shaped lower pivot-bracket's height.

Good Luck.
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
General Contractor
 
LakeTahoeDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Tahoe California
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
In that case, the advice given about installing the pre-hungs before tile is good. If you install your jambs and casings for your bi-folds first, then make sure that you allow for the height of the bi fold door panels, the upper glide track, all the pivot-hardware of the door, and also the "L" shaped lower pivot-bracket's height.

Good Luck.
It sure does suck having to cut a new door doesn't it!

new signature idea: "always know your elevations" (especially when cutting in stairs)

The prefhung 6pnl pine and alder doors I install regularly are ~1" short of the bottom's of the jamb legs. So this is usually more than enough clearance for mortar and tile.
I suppose if timing is not right I just shim off the subfloor accordingly and then cut the hardy backer around the jams.

here is a recent double pocket I did:



Last edited by LakeTahoeDan; 02-17-2008 at 10:42 PM.
LakeTahoeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


I would install the hardibacker , then the pre-hungs, then the tile and then go back and install the bi-fold
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
remodeling pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoeDan View Post
Most importantly, if you need to shim one jam leg up off the floor to make the head level then the gap is covered by mortar and tile.
A gap for this should not even come into play IMO, because the jambs should be undercut so that the tile will slip under them. Nothing screams "did not know how to do it" project more to me than grout lines around door jambs resulting from trying to cut the tile around all the offsets.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
General Contractor
 
LakeTahoeDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Tahoe California
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
A gap for this should not even come into play IMO, because the jambs should be undercut so that the tile will slip under them. Nothing screams "did not know how to do it" project more to me than grout lines around door jambs resulting from trying to cut the tile around all the offsets.

that looks like crap having imperfect surfaced tile pushed up under a perfectly cut jamb leg. Might work for porcelain tiles etc but not for ceramic tiles with rough textures.

I do all stain grade and putty, bondo and paint is not an option
LakeTahoeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoeDan View Post
....I do all stain grade and putty, bondo and paint is not an option
...Even when the job calls for painted Trim? That's a waste of money on stain grade stock...
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
General Contractor
 
LakeTahoeDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Tahoe California
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


I have never had a job that called for painted trim it is all stains, sand sealers etc.

If I did have I paint grade job I would not be using VG Firs, Knotty Alder etc.
LakeTahoeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
DIY Expert in Training!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warminster, PA
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


No hardie backer either...this is on concrete.
gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTahoeDan View Post
I have never had a job that called for painted trim it is all stains, sand sealers etc.

If I did have I paint grade job I would not be using VG Firs, Knotty Alder etc.
If we have alot of standard paint-grade fabrication, I prefer to use Windsor One for stock, and premium paint-grade trim.
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Which comes first...door or tile?


I too have the same question, which comes first door jamb or tile??

Advertisement

Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.
<--
-->