Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #1

Share |

Clogged Drain line

I just bought a house that was flipped by a contrctor that knew little to nothing on fixing up a home. that being said:

I have a clogged sewer line from the master toilet. I have tried a commercal grade cleaner, no result! I have snaked the drain up to the clog but after a number of tries the snake will not penatrate through the clog. I believe the clog is below the junction where the sink ties in. I think this because if you run the sink for a period of time, water backs up in the toilet.

I see under the house, on the drain line there is a cap that I can unscrew so I can access the line. By doing this I believe I can remove the clog or snake. Is the sewer line filled with water or is it dry? Is unscrewing the cap an OK idea. Also a side note the lines are cast iron, which I know clog eaiser. Any suggestions/help is welcome

Thanks for those reply

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Man of many hats

Clogged Drain line

That cap is your cleanout. There may be a bit of water in it, but it sounds like the water is getting some passage, so if you wait a few hours after running any water you should be able to unscrew it with little water coming out (hopefully not much of anything else coming out!) Maybe have a bucket handy to catch the drainage so that you dont have to be near it while snaking the rest of the drain line.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #3

Clogged Drain line

I think most rental centers will rent a powered snake. Might be worth loogking in to if your going to open a main clean out.