Choices In Replacing Basement Windows - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Choices in Replacing Basement Windows

Hi. A project I want to start this summer is replacing some of my basement windows. I think I just want to do one, and see how hard it is (since I have other things on the list this summer too.)

I think I am going to skip vinyl, cause I hear there are ways to paint it, but it seems iffy. I am just going to go with wood I think. With a little maintainance they should last decades (the ones I have now have).

So what is a good window to buy for a basement? I don't need to go wild since we already spent too much on other parts of the house. What is a recommendation for a good window at a decent price? On the other hand, I don't want to go cheap, and pay for it later. And no glass block...I like to see out and have the screens.

The windows are kinda large for basement windows, about 24" wide and about 20" tall. Right now it is the kind that swings in and up. I could live with that again, but the sliding kind seem more convenient.

And to install the window (I have never done a window), do how much of the old do I remove? Not much, right? The frame stays and something is fitted into place in the opening and shimmed and such into place, somehow secured (?), and caulked and painted and done. I am sure I am missing something, so any advice is *always* appreciated.

Advertisement

2031pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

0.02$
- We picked Atrium vinyl 'basement' sliders because, well, then you DON'T have to paint them. My contractor did 14 basement windows in two days. I think it is definitely a DIY job (I was needed elsewhere or I would have done them - but MEASURING correctly and ordering correctly is the KEY.

- If you pick sliders makes sure you think about which way you want them to slide or pick a style that goes both ways My contractor - who did the measuring and ordering learned that one the hard way.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #3

Your stated window measurements are not a standard size for basement windows.. They run 32" wide and 13,15,17,19, and 21" high.
I'd be surprised if you could still order wood windows, and if you could, at what price point?
After some research, you might find the selection of materials is limited.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #4

I replaced 3 of my basement windows w/vinyl
A 4th is now under the new sunroom, enclosed storage area
The 5th will become a door to the new garage
I also replaced the basemen tdoor & insulated the rim joist

My basement Temp went from a low of 45 the prior winter
To a new normal Temp of around 57-63
I'd never put wood in for basement windows