Chimney Reline...diy? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

chimney reline...diy?

is relining a chimney a diy project? It doesn't seem too complex is running a liner down the chimney (properly sized of course) and then the right components at the top and bottom. The materials themselves are fairly expensive especially considering I have about 5 fireplaces needing to be relined. I had a quote of 20k to have someone else do it. It just doesn't seem too hard to do myself, but figured I'd get some other opinions.

Advertisement

autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

chimney reline...diy?

Want to buy some ocean front property in Arizona?

$20K? GMAFB.....you can have a whole new fireplace AND chimney put in for that price.....

The bigger question is.....what makes you think you need to "reline" your chimney?

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

chimney reline...diy?

I would agree, why do you thibnk it needs to be done, VERY old house??? Maybe. But get a second/third opinion.

Installing stainless or aluminum ducts in heater chimneys can be a DIY job. Relining a fireplace chimney is not, at least from what I understand of the process.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

chimney reline...diy?

The primary reason to reline a chimney is due to broken/deteriorating terra cotta. It's usually advisable to break out the existing liner before you reline and the issue is going to be how you do that without the right tools. If you can/want to run your liner up through the terra cotta then there is no reason you can't do the whole project yourself. It ain't rocket science, even for a fireplace chimney.

That said, if you need to rebuild the smoke chamber and parge it, you might be getting into territory best left for a professional. It's all a matter of what skills you have.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

chimney reline...diy?

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I guess maybe re-line wasn't the proper term. My house was built in 1839 so there technically is no liner. On the interior of the house the chimney bricks are plastered over and smooth finish (like it was same as the wall). But up in the attic if you brush the mortar between the bricks, it crumbles away. One fire place I have, has a 10" flex duct running down it with hard insulation between that and the bricks. The previous owners just burned wood in it like that, but I had someone come and install some stone work to go from the firebox to the liner. I have one fireplace that the previous owner drilled a 6" hole through the wall over the mantel and I guess just ran a exhaust pipe into the chimney (which seems dumb let alone the fact that I believe that chimney is sealed up at the roof). So I have had other chimney sweeps come by who have said because of the cost of materials, they'd have to charge about 2k or more. So it didn't seem too complicated to drop a liner in the chimney and rework the firebox. Just not sure if i'm oversimplifying it.
autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote