Cheapest Way To Restore/clean A Bathtub? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
rkj

Rewards Points: 79

Cheapest way to restore/clean a bathtub?

I have a steel tub, and although it works, it doesn't look that great. There is caulking that is spread improperly around the tub and which seems to be here and there. The tub surround has yellowing here and there as well.

There are glazing services, but I know that can be prone to chipping and last only a few years. Tub liners are too expensive. Anything I can do or are there other services that I can use that maybe use buffing or polishing techniques?

Some pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/WWb1Kr3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O6CNqyr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/96RyaWM.jpg

Advertisement

rkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

It does not need deglazing it needs a good cleaning and all the old caulking removed and replaced.
There's no reason to have that much caulking on the tub and the walls, just need to seal the small gap.
Looks like whoever installed that enclosure got sealant all over the faces of the panels that's why it looks all yellow at the seams.
That enclosure is missing an end panel and the other ones two short.

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

OMG, when was the last year this tub was cleaned? It's used for what?

I would do a heavy duty cleaning and then spend a couple hundred to have it painted. Save up a couple grand or so, then replace everything.

BTW, those "tub-reglazing" companies are full of it. It's not possible to "reglaze" a tub while still installed. All they're gonna do is paint it.

Re-lining can be a good alternative, but only if the walls are in great shape.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
rkj

Quote:
It does not need deglazing it needs a good cleaning and all the old caulking removed and replaced.
There's no reason to have that much caulking on the tub and the walls, just need to seal the small gap.
What is a good cleaner to use? I think I am going to need a commercial or professional strength cleaner probably.
Quote:
OMG, when was the last year this tub was cleaned? It's used for what?

I would do a heavy duty cleaning and then spend a couple hundred to have it painted. Save up a couple grand or so, then replace everything.

BTW, those "tub-reglazing" companies are full of it. It's not possible to "reglaze" a tub while still installed. All they're gonna do is paint it.
We don't use this tub much at all, a cleaning lady did clean it a few months back, but I guess she just used general cleaning agents which didn't help much. Is painting the same thing as reglazing? I am not seeing painting tub painting companies that charge $200...what are these companies called?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

I've had two tubs refinished in rentals and was very pleased.
Some are going on 10 years and still look fine.
No DIY "paint" job is going to hold up.
Look for a cleaner containing Oxalic Acid.
One that works pretty good is Bar Keepers Friend. Wal-Mart has it in the cleaning supply area. It's a powder, gold colored contain if I remember right.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Tileguy

To "glaze" something you have to put it in a kiln and fire it at thousands of degrees for a period of time. That's why I said they're full of it. All they're doing is painting the darn thing.

It's a quick way to make it look good and with care it can last for years. There are several "don'ts" to keep in mind. Do not use harsh cleaners such as scouring powders, (which is like using sandpaper), and do not set bottles of shampoo or any body-wash etc on the ledge. Don't let them paint the soap dish cuz the soap will eat the paint.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
rkj

Quote:
No DIY "paint" job is going to hold up.
Look for a cleaner containing Oxalic Acid.
One that works pretty good is Bar Keepers Friend. Wal-Mart has it in the cleaning supply area. It's a powder, gold colored contain if I remember right.
ok, thanks, I'll look for that.

Quote:
It's a quick way to make it look good and with care it can last for years. There are several "don'ts" to keep in mind. Do not use harsh cleaners such as scouring powders, (which is like using sandpaper), and do not set bottles of shampoo or any body-wash etc on the ledge. Don't let them paint the soap dish cuz the soap will eat the paint.
good tips, will keep them in mind.

Now, I have to find companies that do this refinishing professionally. Maybe its something that is not that expensive.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #8

Unless there's some chips I'm not seeing in that picture it's just stained from something in the water at the drain and dirty.
That whole thing would look 100% better if you remove and toss that cheap glued on enclosure in the trash and installed a nail on after the sheet rock was removed.
It would be about 3, times thicker and would cover both ends of the walls all the way to the ends of the tub like it was suppose to in the first place.
The way it is now your going to end up with drywall to deal with.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 620

I don't see anything wrong with the tub itself that a bit of cleaning won't handle.

It is fairly routine for me to go into a rental and see a tub that hasn't been touched for one year or more, and they clean up just fine.

The grout lines and caulk lines are a different story.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
rkj

Quote:
That whole thing would look 100% better if you remove and toss that cheap glued on enclosure in the trash and installed a nail on after the sheet rock was removed.
It would be about 3, times thicker and would cover both ends of the walls all the way to the ends of the tub like it was suppose to in the first place.
Interesting, would is this something expensive to get done though?

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with the tub itself that a bit of cleaning won't handle.

It is fairly routine for me to go into a rental and see a tub that hasn't been touched for one year or more, and they clean up just fine.
I will try to get the tub cleaned with something stronger first then.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
rkj

Quote:
Interesting, would this be something expensive to get done though?

Quote:

Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
rkj

Quote:
Interesting, but would this be something expensive to get done though?

Quote:

Old 02-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #13
Tileguy

OK, OK, we heard you the second time!

Jaz

Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
rkj

lol, it posted 3 times and I didn't notice, was trying to edit.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj View Post
We don't use this tub much at all, a cleaning lady did clean it a few months back, but I guess she just used general cleaning agents which didn't help much.
The tub is filthy because we dont use this tub that much?? Seems like the opposite would be true. That if you did not use it that much it should be pristine. If your "cleaning lady" is not doing a good job then get a new cleaning lady.

Advertisement

rosem637 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rosem637 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-09-2014)