DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Changing Size of Replacement Window

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Window Advisor 
#1 ·
I have an existing 4x2 Milgard Vinyl replacement window in a bedroom and the inspector is telling me I have to change it out to meet the egress requirement even though I am doing no work on this bedroom. I have a 4x4 replacement window removed from another section of the house that I'd like to use to replace the 4x2 if possible.

Is this possible? The replacement window has a nailing fin on it. The width is also the same so the only framing change would be to cut the jack studs shorter and put on a new sill plate. The outside already has the stucco removed and has been sheared, so I'll have to remove the plywood and reshear around the new window. The inside is plaster and will obviously have to be cut downward to make room for the new window.

I know it's better to go with new construction windows but I really don't want to have to order another window when I have the replacement one on hand. Assuming it's possible to install, what steps should I take to make the replacement window seal properly that are different from the normal flashing that goes with a new construction window?

#2 ·
If the window has a nailing flange around it, it doesn't sound like a replacement window. I'd install it as you would any new construction unit.
Ron

#3 · (Edited)
The only differences between a “new construction” and a “replacement” window is the new construction has a nail flange and the replacement does not.

Any new construction window can become a replacement window with a couple of scores with a razor knife and then snapping the flange off.

The other difference between the two is the manufacture charges $15-25 per window to take the flange off for you.

#6 ·
Ok so I took a closer look at the window and here's the deal: the nailing fin I mentioned is actually the fin from the original window that the replacement window was put inside. This whole window was removed and replaced with a wall in another part of the house. So the window I'm referring to is an old aluminum frame with the Vinyl replacement window mounted inside of it and attached with expanding foam and possibly glue or caulking.

It looks as if I can probably just put this whole unit back into a wall and use the nailing fin to attach it to the framing. I do wonder what to do about the screws coming out of the replacement window part though. These screws go through the frame of the window in about 6 places and are meant to screw into the sill, king studs and header of the window. I'm guessing I should use them to mount the window in the new wall as well. Anyone know if I should try to pilot drill these screws? This might be hard because of the angle where the fixed part of the window is.

The other option here is that I could try and pop the replacement window out of the old window frame and then install it by itself. Thanks for the previous help everyone.

#9 ·
I think like you suggested about taking out the replacement window and then install the frame is the way to go.

Just remove the replacement window from the frame. Install the old frame in the new opening as a new construction install and then re-install the replacement window with new screws in the frame.

Another option is some vinyl replacement windows are made to accept a "snap on nail fin". So if you know the type of window contact a dealer and see if they can get you a length of nail fin. One of the vinyl windows we use has this option, the fin just snaps into a grove around the exterior part of the frame. I get the fin in 16' lengths

#10 ·
Make sure the window you plan install meets the code egress requirements for clear open widths, height and square footage. Also, find out what the height to the BOTTOM OF THE OPENING meets your standards. Some communities have different standards for the installed height are can change the maximum height. The key is the clear opening dimensions and not the size of the glass or rough opening. Casement window that do not swing out and around far enough can be a problem since clear opening to the outside may be reduced.

Make sure the window is approved by the inspector before installing, since it probably does not have an egress seal on it. - You don't want to do it again.

The egress windows are not just for exiting, but the opening must be large enough to allow a fireman with air tanks to get in and fight a fire or bring out others.

Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.