Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Ceramic/Glass Backsplash

My wife and her friends decided that we should put a backsplash below our cabinets when I was not home one day. So she went out and bought all the tile, mortar, trial, etc. They thought this would go up in an hour or so...Anyway, I have about 6 electrical outlets to cut around and also have to cut the backs of 2 sills and cabinet trim for the tile to slide under. Question 1: Without using a tub saw, is there a trick to cutting out the outlets? All of the websites I've been to convieniently been able to just cut the mesh backing and it fits perfectly...I know that I will have a piece that will need to be cut in halves or thirds around the box. Would nippers just work?
Question 2: Has anyone ever worked with the adhesive backing instead of mortar? Lowes has Bondera and HD has Wonder Pad...Thanks.
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #2

Ceramic/Glass Backsplash

For cutting your glass go to a Stained Glass or good craft supply store and ask for a good cutter and breaking plies.
For your mortar, if you can see through your tiles I would not use any of the mats to (glue) your glass up. You will see the mat through the tile and you must use mortar.
mossypath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Ceramic/Glass Backsplash

Ok thanksfor the advice. The outlets are what scares me not to mention cutting the backs of the sills and wood trim with a plunge saw....
Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Ceramic/Glass Backsplash

Why are you cutting the backs of the sills and wood trim with a plunge saw?
Can we see a picture of what you are trying to do. Tile does not have to run behind the wood but will run up to the wood and the joint between will caulk.

If you have cabinet trim that would be difficult to cut around and cannot be removed and recut try one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...2-001b2166becc

Cheap, but will get you through this job and more . Or better yet go and get yourself a real nice one for payment on doing this surprise SMALL job.
mossypath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #5

Ceramic/Glass Backsplash

Yes, that is the tool I am talking about. I have one, I might have called it the wrong name. The reasom I was going to cut behind the sill and trim is because that is the way a pro did it in my bathroom. He took the bottom piece of trim off and tiled up to the bottom of the sill and he slid the tile behide the sill on the sides. As for the tile, I looked at the tile and you cannot see through the glass pieces, they have a backing on it to prevent that so I might try the adhesive pads instead of mortar.