Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Cellulose blown in insulation questions...

I live in NE Ohio. I am refurbishing an old house with balloon costruction. the house had lathe and plaster which has all been removed so I can install new drywall. I am down to studs in all rooms.... so here are my questions:

1. Do I hang plastic as a vapor barrier then blow in the cellulose insulation so I can see it fills properly, or hang plastic vapor barrier then drywalll followed by insulation.

2. Do I need to worry about taping off plastic electrical boxes in the walls. Also what do I do around the light fixture boxes in the ceiling above the second floor which I want to fill with 15 inches of blown in cellulose?

3. What other issue do I need to worry about?

Thanks for your replies. I will be starting this process as soon as this afternoon.

1eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #2

The insulation that's blown into an open cavity will stick to the surfaces in the cavity. They should then shave off the excess, even with the studs. The vapor barrier would be put on top after the insulation is in place. They might have you wait a while to install the plastic as the cellulose might have some moisture in it.
They have plastic "pockets" you can get to go behind the wall and ceiling boxes that will be taped to the vapor barrier to seal the room. These would get installed before the insulation.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
STAFF

On your exterior studs make sure all the nails are pulled on the surface or driven in flush. They just blow the insulation into the stud cavities then with a viberating tool smooth the insulation down flush with the front of the studs. You must have your sheet rock in place on the ceiling so they can blow it in from topside. If you are having any insulation blown in any interior walls there must be sheet rock or what ever wall covering you are using, in place so there will be a stop for the insulation other wise it will just blow through the walls.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #4

http://www.cellulose.org/HomeOwners/...orBarriers.php

Check with your local Building Department.
Are you going with wet blow-on cellulose, dry- in wall, or dense pack in netting or wall covering?

Gary