DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Cel - Exterior Siding/Trim work Questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/cel-exterior-siding-trim-work-questions-69264/)

mmdavis 04-18-2010 02:20 AM

Cel - Exterior Siding/Trim work Questions
 
Hi, I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. The center of the counry. We are considering removing our X90 siding, trimming off about 2 inches and putting it back up. We have extra because our garage is the same siding. We also want to trim the corners of the house and repaint it all. Any ideas or people out there who have done this before? I would love to hear from you.

oh'mike 04-18-2010 07:49 AM

Could you explain why you are going to all of that work?
What is m90? If that is the old Masonite siding you may be opening a big can of worms.

By the time that the edges are puffed up and rotting---the nail holes are too.

I know you are trying to save money--the old Masonite siding will rapidly deteriorate and fail again in a few years.

Price T-111 plywood siding---I hate to see you spend the time (and money) trying to get a few more years out of a bad product.--Mike--


EDIT:I just googled X90--that is the old Masonite siding.

That stuff sent me to the emergency room some years back.

I was removing 9 foot sheets from a second floor--I had the ladder just under the siding---I grabbed the bottom edge of the sheet and gave it a tug.

The nail holes were so rotten that the whole sodden sheet popped loose--

It came down like a 90 pound guillotine--wacked my foot and took me off the ladder.

Total product failure.--M--

oh'mike 04-18-2010 08:06 AM

MODERATORS- Can this post be moved?

AtlanticWBConst. 04-18-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 430094)
MODERATORS- Can this post be moved?

Done.

Tom Struble 04-18-2010 09:12 AM

you can trim the panels while they are still on the house

mmdavis 04-19-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomstruble (Post 430123)
you can trim the panels while they are still on the house

I never thought of that, but they are 11 inches and we want them to be 6 inches when finished. I don't think they overlap that much, do they?

mmdavis 04-19-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 430092)
Could you explain why you are going to all of that work?
What is m90? If that is the old Masonite siding you may be opening a big can of worms.

By the time that the edges are puffed up and rotting---the nail holes are too.

I know you are trying to save money--the old Masonite siding will rapidly deteriorate and fail again in a few years.

Price T-111 plywood siding---I hate to see you spend the time (and money) trying to get a few more years out of a bad product.--Mike--


EDIT:I just googled X90--that is the old Masonite siding.

That stuff sent me to the emergency room some years back.

I was removing 9 foot sheets from a second floor--I had the ladder just under the siding---I grabbed the bottom edge of the sheet and gave it a tug.

The nail holes were so rotten that the whole sodden sheet popped loose--

It came down like a 90 pound guillotine--wacked my foot and took me off the ladder.

Total product failure.--M--

Thanks Mike, but the edges are not frayed and rotting yet. That is why we want to recycle to make our house look more uptodate. I understand about rotten nail hole. When I have time, I will post a pic.
Thanks again

kwikfishron 04-22-2010 12:59 PM

I couldn’t even imagine any Masonite Siding that far North being in any kind of condition to pull of the wall and re-used.

You say you want to pull siding off the garage and use it for the extra you’ll need for the house. So what’s the garage get, new siding?

I think your going about this all wrong, if you can’t afford new siding for the house then start saving. You don’t have to reside the whole house at once. I’ve had customers that we only did a wall or two at a time, starting with the worst. It took a couple years but they got there new siding.

You can save the best of the old house siding to keep the garage alive.

Please, if you’re going to attempt your plan at least start in the back of the house. I would hate to see you rip up the front and then realize maybe you shouldn’t have.

 

mmdavis 04-22-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikfishron (Post 431996)
I couldnít even imagine any Masonite Siding that far North being in any kind of condition to pull of the wall and re-used.

You say you want to pull siding off the garage and use it for the extra youíll need for the house. So whatís the garage get, new siding?

I think your going about this all wrong, if you canít afford new siding for the house then start saving. You donít have to reside the whole house at once. Iíve had customers that we only did a wall or two at a time, starting with the worst. It took a couple years but they got there new siding.

You can save the best of the old house siding to keep the garage alive.

Please, if youíre going to attempt your plan at least start in the back of the house. I would hate to see you rip up the front and then realize maybe you shouldnít have.

 

Well, do you know anything about our climate, or do you think we all live in igloos as most americans do? Sorry, but it isn't he money, it's just that our home looks a bit dated with the old fashioned wide siding. Actually, a few people have since told us that they have done this with great success. To wait for years to complete is obsurd! This is our May project and we have great confidence in it working. Thank you very much

kwikfishron 04-22-2010 05:35 PM

Sorry, didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers. By up North I was “assuming” wetter, I see now your in a relatively dry climate. That said, that still doesn’t change the fact that Masonite Siding is garbage. I’ve been hauling it to the dump for years. There’s a reason they lost all their class action law suits.

Tom Struble 04-23-2010 08:33 PM

don't do what i said:eek:i thought you just wanted to trim the detieriorated siding off the first course:huh: after reading your post again i realize you want to reduce the exposure on the entire house,it can be done i guess if your careful removeing it and can trim off the areas where the nails were


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.