Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222
Share |

Ceilings

So I decided to redo the ceiling in my bedroom (about a 15x15). While removing the 1950's ceiling tile I decided I wanted to do a wooden plank ceiling. Hubby graciously agreed and takes next week off to accomplish this redo and play some golf. Went to the local Home Depot and Lowe's and was amazed that they do not carry Armstrong product in stock. (this is the only manufactirere that I could find that had what I was looking for - a laminate product - all you have to do is hang it)

Not only do they not carry it in stock - if I ordered it I am looking at at least 3 weeks. (Screws up my next weeks project) AND to top it all off - the ceiling planks cost more than the new hardwood floor that is next on the list. That is the point where hubby nixed my idea. I do not like being told no.

Thought about beadboard but don't know how to hide the seams, thought about just painted lumber, but we are not overly handy and I am not sure how to go about that. The ceiling is currently some kind of gypsum board I think although it is brown. Attic above that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Michelle

mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #2

Ceilings

Not a lot of planning went into this I guess. Not a bad idea to secure materials before taking a week off.

You should be able to go to just about any lumber yard and fing tongue and groove pine planks, or even bead board. Unless you get a produst that is longer than 15', you wont be able to hide seams. You can and should hide the nails used to install it by nailing into the tongue at an angle, into ceiling joists preferably if you aren't going to use any adhesive, then hooking the groove of the next board into the tongue you just nailed to, then nailing into the tongue of the new boards to attach. You nail at an angle to avoid having the nails interfere with the fit of the next board. If you do decide to use an adhesive, be gentle...you might want to remove it someday. I'm not familiar with a laminate product designed to go on ceilings. I'll take your word for it. I can't imagine this product looking really nice because laminate looks like....well...laminate. Hope this helped.

by the way.....NO....lol

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222

Ceilings

Well - tha laminate product looked ok on the website.......and Lowe's used to stock it up until a year ago, so it wasn't until after we decided that it would be best to work our way down in the room - ceiling first - floor last - that I decided to go pick the product. So I guess you could say that I planned - just not for the important stuff. LOL Hubby had to burn some vacation time so he took next week off - I was told this about 3 days ago. We live in a house that is like 70 plus years old and are doing projects to upgrade. Refinishing floors, remodeling bathrooms, painting, some outside work........diy stuff for now. I just did not expect a ceiling to be a problem. I could always go back with decorative tile - but that is my last choice. I guess I am back to sheetrock, although I can't even get anyone to come by and give me a quote........maybe I will just put this project off until I can get what I want and hubby can paint outside of house and hang new shutters and paver the sidewalk and porch and add onto the deck in the back next week while he is "vacationing". LOL

In the meantime I will be researching ceilings..............
mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote