Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ceiling tile and insulation

In my attic I had loose celing tiles that fell down. They are light brown, @2'x1'. Behind them are squares of insulation; paper looks like it has been burned. The actual material is dark grey and has sand like substance in it. i have taken down about 1/3 of the tiles/insulation and have stopped. I now am worried that there may be asbestos. House was built around 1928. Am I screwed?

steer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Sounds like this might be rock or slag wool.
Not known to contain "A". does it look like stuff in link below?
this was also available in batts.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/interio...Insulation.htm

Some old ceiling tiles might contain some "A". Only way to know for sure is to have it tested.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #3

Thank you for you reply. If I had the tile and insulation tested; what happens next? Are we talking about a huge amount of money? I don't think I can perform the correct procedures to remove the material properbly if they contain asbestos.

I saw a pile of tiles sitting on the curb; waiting for a citywide pickup program.

the insulation in my attic is wool-like appearance; quite similar to the modern-day material. Any additional thoughts?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #4

sandy grit and 1928... insulation is probably rock /slag wool,,,and was not known to contain Asbestos.

Tile sounds like wood fiber 2x1 (brown /tan color ) easy to break by hand..often stapled at edge or had a concealed metal spline.
usually, white smooth surface or had a pattern of holes (again white)..

Pictures would help, but again testing is only way to be sure.
check the phone book for local testing companies... (Not an Asbestos mitigation co.) {they have something to sell}
A straight shooter...will probably advise no need to test the insulation if it is rock wool. You pay by the number of samples required... get quotes on the phone..
The tile... might have some Asbestos... they can advise if friable and ways you can deal with it safely. read up...

also: Local laws vary...
Call your local building dept, they can advise what if anything you might need to do.. if single family.. residence is your home... and tile does contain friable Asbestos... Might require double 6 mil bagging... taped shut.. and proper haz mat lable and disposal... (usually separate area in local landfil) or if you have a lot...call local dumpster providers.. tell them what you have and they can advise... (ususally double 6 mil visqueen..taped closed for the trip to the landfil)

odds are good this isn't going to be a big deal for you. I doubt you will need the pros in the white haz mat suits.

Last edited by Big Bob; 04-12-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #5

If I want to do the clean-up myself, what safety percautions are necessary. Many of the internet sites can scare you as to the detail it involves; white suites, shoes, total masks, wash-rooms, safety rooms, chnage shoes every time you leave area. etc. I also am worried that if I do have a test performed will that agancy then report me to someone that (if it is A) A does exist in my house. I want to do the right thing, but I am wondering...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #6

Concerned home rennovator; This may be a repeat of previous question, but...some internet sites really detail what one must do in order to remove materials that may contain A. It really tends to scare one about this possible home project. thoughts
Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steer View Post
Concerned home rennovator; This may be a repeat of previous question, but...some internet sites really detail what one must do in order to remove materials that may contain A. It really tends to scare one about this possible home project. thoughts
Thoughts?

Life is full of risk... people ride on motorized two wheeled devices and don't wear helmuts. People smoke...tobacco and other things.. some people hold a lighting rod in their hand in the middle of a fareway during a thunder storm... some peolpe swim with sharks...handle deadly snakes...and some even cheat on their violent vengeful spouce. People drive around in cars at a high rate of speed...some do not wear seat belts.

So... when I go to remove my 2x1 wood fiber tiles from the ceiling if my thrid floor finished top story (remodeled in the 50's-60's ) that may have "A".
I won't get it tested...(Not required under local ordinance) I will wear old disposible clothing.. seal the door with blue tape.. open the windows..
have a cheap box fan blowing out.. I will tape up painters plastic on the walls and work over a sheet of heavy visqueen. I will take the tiles out by hand and place in a large 6 mil "contractor bag". I won't bother with a mask... I will bag all and dispose of old clothes,,, drink a beer or two and take a shower.

My only grandchild will not be home (she likes to help grandpah).
I will only bother to use the above precautions to help minimize the grands possible exposure.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #8

thanks for the info on the ceiling tiles. Any thoughts on the insulation?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steer View Post
thanks for the info on the ceiling tiles. Any thoughts on the insulation?
Check the link I sent... if what you have is slag or rock wool...it has not been known to contain Asbestos. ( gritty itchey mess, but Not an "A" hazard..)

If you can't tell from the photos on the web... and you don't want to post a picture here...put some in a clear bag....
and show it to the old guy at the old hardware store...

Or treated like you plan on treating the tiles... your choices..