Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ceiling Repair/Re-Surface

before re-surfacing, i plan to secure the "plywood" ceiling panels w/ sheet rock screws. i just did a few and something doesn't seem right. do i remove the nails first? this would damage the old plywood panels? do i leave the nails in and bang them up w/ a hammer after installing the screws? or do i remove the nails after installing the screws?
here is a picture of my current situation:Ceiling Repair/Re-Surface-dscf2878.jpg

rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #2

Plywood panels???? On the ceiling???? Most people use drywall, so not sure I understand. Trying to finish joints in wood the same way drywall joints in drywall are finished could get mixed results. Plywood expands/contracts considberably more than drywall with weather changes as will the joints, making it hard to stop cracking compound.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #3

to explain the plywood - this was a carport that was made into an addition. it is not a perfect situation but the one i have.

the surface will be very rough so i'll guess very thick.

my plan is to put in screws to hold the plywood in place, tape and "mud" the joints. so, in this first step, do i remove the nails? and if so, before or after putting in the screws?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Plywood panels???? On the ceiling???? Most people use drywall, so not sure I understand. Trying to finish joints in wood the same way drywall joints in drywall are finished could get mixed results. Plywood expands/contracts considberably more than drywall with weather changes as will the joints, making it hard to stop cracking compound.
hmmm. i'm not getting replies so i'm wondering something - will the plywood expand/contract so much that i can expect the heavily textured ceiling to crack? even with tape/mud job and anchoring the plywood with screws? here is the expected future texture: Ceiling Repair/Re-Surface-dscf3034.jpg

"the boss" wants to texture this plywood but if it will undoubtedly crack i'd like to stop here. we live in the arid panhandle of Texas (very similar to NM). the avg relative humidity is about 43%.

if i can ask, in an area of low cost of living, Texas Panhandle, how much would it cost to have this ceiling stripped of the plywood and have drywall installed (screwed-in/ taped and mudded? the sqft is ~254ft^2

Last edited by rosco; 06-29-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #5

we've (she's) decided that i should hang sheet rock over the plywood ceiling. so, should i use 1/4" or 1/2" sheet rock? it is just me and a rented "sheet rock hoist."

12 sheets of sheet rock, one skylight, two ceiling vents and one ceiling fan...
Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #6

okay, this room is finished. or these two rooms are. now, the TV room and breakfast room have been added. oh, now i hear two hallways and a bedroom as well. anyhow, here are pictures from first job that was NOT re-rocked. just anchored with screws, taped and mudded and finally hand textured.
Before: Ceiling Repair/Re-Surface-dscf3046.jpg

After: Ceiling Repair/Re-Surface-dscf3052.jpg

to finish these two rooms - two coats of flat paint on ceiling; touch up paint on walls, nail in newly cut baseboards hoping the new grout in the corner was leveled for it,,, and hang the crown moulding/trim.

Last edited by rosco; 07-03-2010 at 03:23 AM.