Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling opening for valves and junction boxes access

I have to have accessible ceiling openings for electric junction box and water valves on my basement bathroom ceiling and bar room ceiling. The ceiling will be drywall attach to the joist directly. I am looking for a good look, easy to open solution. Anybody has any suggestion/link/product? Something with a trim?

diy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Standard access doors made for this purpose. You really would end up with a bunch of these panels, if you have a lot of valves and junction boxes. Suggest that you pull continuous electric to eliminate the junction boxes, and relocate and eliminate as many valves as you can, so again you do not end up with a multitude of access openings.

Otherwise you may as well just put in a false ceiling, vs. drywall.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

These are the typical sort used:
http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-34055-6-.../dp/B000DZGM2C

And they're available in different sizes. I believe they're paintable as well. But if you're going to be going in there regularly you'd probably want to move up to something that's designed to be opened regularly. Something with a door on a hinge, not just the plastic clips that hold those Oatey panels in place.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you did not mind the trim showing, you could trim out an opening like for many attic access situations. Leave a lip of course. Drop a removable piece of drywall in side the frame.

The covers mentioned look a little nicer since they sit flush. How often do you really anticipate needing to get up there? If frequently and not a drop panel access than something more robust with a decent latch and hinges is great advice.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote