Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #1

Share |

Ceiling junction box installation instead of recessed light.

Hi,

I decided to replace a recessed light in my living room with a 3 light chandelier. I took out the recessed light and light fixtures. Now I have 7 inches opening located about 5 inches from the closest joist. I don't want to cut drywall. I will use a ceiling medallion to cover the opening. First, I wanted to buy a $15 Westinghouse Lighting 0110000 Saf-T-Brace and install it through the hole. But it is designed for heavy fans and has to be aligned and leveled properly during the installation. Now think I can buy a regular plastic ceiling light junction box for less than $2, nail to a piece of 2X4, which I can screw to a joist through another piece of 2X4. My new chandelier weights only 12 pounds and 7 " hole will let me to easy access the joist.
Can somebody with junction box installation experience give me your opinion which way to go with or without Westinghouse Lighting 0110000 Saf-T-Brace?

Thanks

sukhenkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Ceiling junction box installation instead of recessed light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhenkoi View Post
Hi,

I decided to replace a recessed light in my living room with a 3 light chandelier. I took out the recessed light and light fixtures. Now I have 7 inches opening located about 5 inches from the closest joist. I don't want to cut drywall. I will use a ceiling medallion to cover the opening. First, I wanted to buy a $15 Westinghouse Lighting 0110000 Saf-T-Brace and install it through the hole. But it is designed for heavy fans and has to be aligned and leveled properly during the installation. Now think I can buy a regular plastic ceiling light junction box for less than $2, nail to a piece of 2X4, which I can screw to a joist through another piece of 2X4. My new chandelier weights only 12 pounds and 7 " hole will let me to easy access the joist.
Can somebody with junction box installation experience give me your opinion which way to go with or without Westinghouse Lighting 0110000 Saf-T-Brace?

Thanks
I'd say go with the T-brace. If you or the next homeowner ever decide to install a fan there you/they will already have the proper box in place to do it.

sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote