Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Share |
Question

Ceiling help...

I have this wonderful texture pattern on all my ceilings....

There are several areas in need of repairs... places where shelves were bracketed and bolted to the ceiling, where a door was in the hallway, old lighting fixture rings and holes, etc.

The major problem I foresee is matching this pattern. I could try to use a brush and mimic the pattern with compound, but A. Since every circle overlaps the next, that might be tough and B. I feel like it would be difficult to match the color without repainting the entire ceiling throughout the entire first floor.

Some options that I think I have:

1. Repaint the entire ceiling a white that I can easily match and do spot repairs to the best of my ability trying to continue the pattern. (not sure if it will look good enough, ceilings are 7.5', so you see them easily)

2. Replace the ceilings throughout the first floor (LOT of work, attic and insulation above)

3. Drywall over the existing with a 1/4" drywall (fair amount of work. Lowers ceiling a bit, requires drywall finishing in all sorts of wall-ceiling corners, etc)

4. Spot repair and try to match the color with a paint shop (again, not sure how possible it is to seemless match the pattern AND not sure if I could really achieve a PERFECT color match)

Last edited by J187; 03-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
General Contractor

Ceiling help...

That texture is a bit of an art to replicate. Youtube has at least one video I've seen before that shows a true pro doing a patch on that exact texture, and would be perfect for seeing how it's done and trying it yourself.
As for painting after, unless it's been somewhat recently painted and you have the paint brand/color or better yet leftover paint you might as well look at repainting the whole ceiling. To match color and sheen otherwise is next to impossible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #3

Ceiling help...

ds is right on. Nearly impossible to match perfectly. Even a pro would have the same problum trying to match it.
One of the many joys of having textured walls and ceilings.
More often then not the whole ceiling has to be retextured.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
General Contractor

Ceiling help...

http://youtu.be/ZYLoBHccu4o
Couldn't find the video I was after but this may give you an idea of what you're in for.....done with a sponge. There are "combs" to do it with also. I'd give it a try before redoing the whole ceiling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Ceiling help...

http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm
I see you found this web site, did you check out how to copy your design?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

Ceiling help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm
I see you found this web site, did you check out how to copy your design?
Actually, I hadn't seen that site. I used Google Image to find the pic I posted. I will look into it. I just wanted to figure out if trying to match it was really the right way to go before getting into it research wise... I would love to have a smooth ceiling throughout, but I do think drywalling over the texture might just be a little too much work.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
They're all fixer-uppers

Ceiling help...

So, the guy with the sponge - he's basically taking advantage of the of the fact that the pattern in the damaged area is still very much intact and his filling with with it. For me, some areas are going to require putting the pattern back in where it's smooth now - the website you linked me to Joe was very helpful. The wallpaper brush sounds like exactly what I need.