Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Cracks, I need help!

Ok, this past summer I removed all the popcorn from the ceiling in the kitchen, dining room, hallway, and living room. Not something I ever want to do again, it had been painted many times. Anyway, there were places in the drywall tape that had to be repaired. I pulled the old tape, retaped, mudded, sanded, primed, textured and repainted. Fun summer, huh? Anyway, now cracks are showing up in the repairs I made. I don't know how to fix them. Can anyone give me a clue?

thanks for all your help.

Dana

danar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

First you need to figure the underlying cause or you'll keep having the same problem. What type of tape and joint compound did you use?? Did any of the nails/screws pop loose when you were scraping/sanding? Did you re-nail or screw the drywall to make sure it is fastened tightly to the framing?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #3

I used paper tape and I couldn't tell you what kind of compound, i just know it came in a big box. My hubby took out the rusted nails and replaced with drywall screws. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Can you detail the taping process you used as it might provide some clues.
jensenconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

"Taking out the rusted nails" may be a factor.....if the core of the board was broken by "removing" them. And what is above?? Is this a 1 story with blown insulation overhead? If the nails were "removed" and the board allowed to sag enough for some insulation to get between the joist and the drywall, you won't get the board pulled back up tightly. Any movement from "seasonal" lumber expansion/contraction can cause cracks and will be more pronounced if the drywall is not correctly attached to the framing members. Lumber "moves" during heating and cooling "seasons". If this is, in fact, the case leaving rusted fasteners in place and spot priming them to keep the rust from bleeding through would have been the way to go. Any that were questionable as to how well they were holding (signs of torn face paper on the drywall) should have had extra fasteners added close to the ones already in place. I am of course just guessing at this point. Pictures might help.......
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #6

The old tape was lifting, (because of the process of removing the popcorn) so i took it all off. We have a sixteen inch gluelam beam running across the ceiling (above the drywall), we added sq footage about 17 years ago. The contractor didn't match the ceilings very well and tried to cover it up with layer after layer of tape and mud. It all started peeling off when I removed the popcorn. (which he had sprayed layer after layer of) there was about an inch and a half of popcorn on the beam! Anyway, I was really scared to start it, but figured what the H--l, and put up thin layers of mud and tape, sanded a little, mudded again, sanded again, etc. until it was reasonably level. I let it dry a day in between. just one side of the job has a crack the other looks fine. But in other places, not on the beam, but places I had to replace tape, have cracked also. Is there any way to fix this? The ceiling has already been textured and painted.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Sorry to say there's no easy fix at this point. While you had everything down to the original drywall, it should have been cut out as needed, shimmed with wood to level everything for solid nailing, and re-hung and finished properly. Again, I don't know what type of tape and mud you used, but that could be one of the reasons you're having problems. You can't build regular mud up an inch or more without having problems. If you used mesh tape, you added to the problem, as it needs to be coated with a setting type compound. Your contractor likely used a setting type compound when he did the original work which may be why it didn't crack before.........it's dries much harder.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 260

No guarantees. Depending on what kind of texture have? You could try a textured elastomeric caulk, then repaint affected areas or the entire ceiling.
Sir MixAlot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
Drywall contractor

Might work for a while........