A Cap To Cover The Front Door: - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

a cap to cover the front door:

I would like to install a cap to cover the front door:

Pictures 1

Pictures 2

1) Would you tape horizontally the new cap to the OSB sheeting (there is no housewrap)?

2) The original horizontal J-channel would then be nailed trough the new cap, correct?

3) The new cap would extend to the right, a cut as indicated with a green line would be made to the 1st vertical J-channel so that the new cap can slide under it, correct? The right cap's flap would butt against the 2nd J-channel.

4) On the left hand side the new cap should have a small "flap" that would be bent down into the vertical J-channel, correct? Bent up the "flap" on the right side, correct?

5) What material to use for the cap?

Thank you!

Advertisement

ozdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,830

Guessing you really mean Z molding.
If so any building supply, Lowes, HD should have it in stock.
I always find it back near the shingle area for some reason.
Huge mistake not having house wrap behind that siding.
That J mold you have now was installed wrong.
That left vertical piece should have butted up against the bottom of the horizontal piece with a notch cut out of the vertical piece and a tab cut into the horizontal piece that gets bent over 90 deg.
That J is acting like a rain gutter with no way for it to drain the way it is now.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,472

Why?? Leaking?? Just use aluminium door/window cap of the right dimension. That window cap should ohabe gone on BEFORE any vinyl with both end flaps bent down. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Guessing you really mean Z molding.
If so any building supply, Lowes, HD should have it in stock.
I always find it back near the shingle area for some reason.
Huge mistake not having house wrap behind that siding.
That J mold you have now was installed wrong.
That left vertical piece should have butted up against the bottom of the horizontal piece with a notch cut out of the vertical piece and a tab cut into the horizontal piece that gets bent over 90 deg.
That J is acting like a rain gutter with no way for it to drain the way it is now.
Yes, I meant Z molding, or Z flashing. Stock ones are fairly narrow but I think you are saying that whatever Lowes/HD sells is fine, no need for a custom wide one, correct?

Homes here do not have housewraps. I am upset about it but what can one do? It is too late.

When I add the Z molding, I will consult with this "manual":

http://diysrc.com/install-j-channel-...-vinyl-siding/

Thank you.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Why?? Leaking?? Just use aluminium door/window cap of the right dimension. That window cap should ohabe gone on BEFORE any vinyl with both end flaps bent down. Ron
No leaking as far as I I can tell but as you can see this is not done correctly. I want to prevent leaks and damage down the road.

Are you saying that the right flap of the door cap should be bent down into the 2nd J-channel? So the 2nd J-channel should be cut trough?

As far as I can say, on the right side, the 1st vertical J-channel is there just as a spacer. It does serve no purpose, I think I should remove the door molding, remove the 1st J-chanel, and install a wider door molding.

Thank you

Last edited by ozdiy; 03-28-2015 at 02:37 PM.