Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can you enclose a loft space somehow?

Hi all,

I'm a newbee and have a question regarding my bedroom loft. It is completely open with a half wall overlooking the living room below and a wide staircase (approximately 4 ft) entering the space. I have been toying with the idea of enclosing it somehow - either with sliding glass panels (affixed on some sort of tracking system mounted top and bottom) on top of the half wall to offer more privacy, but am really stumped about what to do with the stairway entrance to the area - I have a full wall on one side of the opening at the top of the staircase, but only the half wall on the other side. Has anyone attempted anything like this in a loft that may have some ideas or suggestions. I have pictures attached. Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Can you enclose a loft space somehow?-100_0736.jpg   Can you enclose a loft space somehow?-100_0737.jpg   Can you enclose a loft space somehow?-100_0738.jpg   Can you enclose a loft space somehow?-100_0740.jpg   Can you enclose a loft space somehow?-100_0741.jpg  

goldie615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

From what I can see, it appears that it would be possible to enclose the area. However, with that said, I am not certain how much of a DIY project it will be. Especially, if you have not done much carpentry work in the past.

There appears to be a joist running above the half-wall. You would have to remove the trim on the half-wall and frame it. You can check for the joist with a stud finder.

Just for the record, if you are planning to use glass in the area, the framing will have to be very secure. Also, the glass should be made for that purpose. It has the potential to be a very dangerous situation.

Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

I appreciate the advice. What do you think about the stairway opening?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Q: I appreciate the advice. What do you think about the stairway opening?

A: Someone better qualified than me will be able to answer this question in more detail. However, IMHO, once the area above the half-wall is framed, there may be a possibility to frame in a door. It is difficult to tell from the picture, though they are good, if there is enough room for a standard door.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Goldie,
The wall itself is not an issue to enclose. However the stairway is. If you were to place a door there when you open it someone might fall down the stairs not realizing they are there. A doorway would need to be set back 3-4 feet from the stairway and this would take away from your room.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #6

You are totally right about that - great point! Well, that doesn't give me much hope for a solution up there though. Maybe there just isn't one. That's what I was hoping to find out through this forum. I appreciate your input so much.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Although I agree with the point about having a landing at the top of the stairs, the international residential code does not require it on an interior set of stairs. I honestly don't understand why interior stairs are exempted, because it is a safety issue. I suppose that a 3' landing does eat up a lot of space, and stairs are often hard to fit into a home in the first place.

I'd suggest framing a vestibule/landing area at the top of the stairs and adding on to the top of the kneewall with more framing. You could certainly explore the option of sliding glass captured in some sort of frame. I'm sure that your local glass company would have some options.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Also, thanks for posting pics with your question! It helps immensely when people do that!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #9

Those are good suggestions. I will explore those ideas a bit. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #10

If you put up a glass wall I would install some safety film so it stays in the frame in the event of breakage.

Also, what about a glass door? Would be able to see the stairs through it...
cubicdissection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #11

Yes, that would be smart. I don't really have to use glass for that matter-I just didn't have another thought. Glass would be nice for the light it would allow in obviously. The glass door idea isn't bad either - but the whole idea is to allow some privacy - perhaps a frosted glass? I don't know. Thanks for the input
Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #12

Lightbulb

I am also a "Newbie" looking to enclose my loft space. I've been considering an acrylic window of some sort. I've considered acrylic or plexiglass because I have read that it is not as "heavy" as glass so when I place it on top of the "loft wall" it will not be adding as much weight as a glass window. I've done some searching and this website may be of interest to you, it shows how to make custom windows out of acrylic block... http://www.acrylicblock.com/home_ho.htm
http://www.acrylicblock.com/gallery_ho.htm
Also, as far as the staircase, maybe you could try an accordion door, (I purchased some at Home Depot for a different enclosure project in my home) they offer an excellent sound barrier, they do not take up alot of the door opening, they come in different sizes and finishes and they are reasonably priced
Accordion Folding Door
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90401

You may be able to create the acrylic block wall to extend out above the accordion door frame so that the accordion door does not have to go all the way up to your ceiling.

Good Luck!
Me-N-MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #13

Wow, thanks for the great ideas. What are you planning to do with your loft enclosure? Can you tell me for sure that those accordian doors provide a good sound barrier? That would be my only concern - otherwise I like the idea very much. THANKS!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #14

I have purchased 3 of the folding doors for downstairs (2, I have together, side by side, to close in our den so the sound does not travel up to the loft) and I am VERY happy with the sound barrier they provide from the TV, stereo etc. I would imagine a solid door would be more efficient, but for the purpose of not having a door swing out or in and that they do not take up alot of the door opening space I am VERY happy with them I originally wanted Pocket Doors for my door opening but they were more expensive and harder to install, so for the price and easy install I went with the accordion, folding door. To be honest, at first I was just going to use them for a quick fix for the sound problem because I thought they would look a little cheap 'n cheesy and then replace them with the pocket doors; but, after they were hung and installed I was very happy with them. I truly believe you will be happy with them, especially for the space and purpose that you need them for. And as far as the price, you can't go wrong in trying them. I would think that if you tried one from Home Depot, and as long as it was not a customized door, if you did not like it, you would probably be able to return it (I would ask before purchasing the door) I think, going off memory, they may even have the doors that have a lock... not sure though, just going off a vague memory thought LOL! As for my enclosure I'm still searching for some clear plexiglass at a reasonable price and then trying to figure out how I'm going to frame it... Good Luck with your project...
Me-N-MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #15

I appreciate your input on the doors! I'm going to give all these ideas some serious consideration. It's great to know that there is a way to tackle this - I really wasn't sure