Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
The Moose is loose.
 
MooseWoodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Share |
Default

Can I tile over...


cinder block?

I know that sounds odd, but my wife and I looked at a house to purchase today and one of the bathrooms is solid cinder block. The room sits on a slab. It basically is like a shower/bathroom you would see in a locker room or prison really.

What I am wondering is if I could tile over this? It would still look odd but by tiling the room completely it would look a lot nicer. Will the tile hold up being applied over the block?


Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Pictures will be posted ASAP


Last edited by MooseWoodworks; 01-23-2011 at 05:42 PM.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,615
Default

Can I tile over...


Absolutely---use modified thinset---scuff sand the old paint--A two part thinset might be the best choice--Mike--

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
The Moose is loose.
 
MooseWoodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Default

Can I tile over...


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Absolutely---use modified thinset---scuff sand the old paint--A two part thinset might be the best choice--Mike--

Mike, have you got a good online source for a DIY'er like me that you could link to? I'd really like to get some good notes on this before I start on it.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,615
Default

Can I tile over...


This site has a lot of info---Bud Cline has several blogs on --mud--preparing a wall---plus search feature

I will be glad to walk you through the process--also look for posts by jazzman--he's another tile pro.

It would be hard to find a better surface to tile than a block wall---the only concern might be the paint surface --cleaning the old surface well--breaking the gloss a bit--then using a two part thinset

I'd guarantee that. There is a tile only forum (which I will not send you to) unfortunately it's confusing-
full of internet know it alls-and arguing.

Stick in here -jazz is very generous with his time---I sure won't steer you wrong---Mike--
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
The Moose is loose.
 
MooseWoodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Default

Can I tile over...


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
This site has a lot of info---Bud Cline has several blogs on --mud--preparing a wall---plus search feature

I will be glad to walk you through the process--also look for posts by jazzman--he's another tile pro.

It would be hard to find a better surface to tile than a block wall---the only concern might be the paint surface --cleaning the old surface well--breaking the gloss a bit--then using a two part thinset

I'd guarantee that. There is a tile only forum (which I will not send you to) unfortunately it's confusing-
full of internet know it alls-and arguing.

Stick in here -jazz is very generous with his time---I sure won't steer you wrong---Mike--

Mike, we are in the process of purchasing the home with the 'Folsom Prison' bathroom as I've dubbed it. So I may be bugging you in the near future. Thanks for all of your help BTW.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,615
Default

Can I tile over...


Sounds good----paint it green--get a stainless steel toilet --we will help return that prison bath to its original charm!
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
The Moose is loose.
 
MooseWoodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Default

Can I tile over...


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Sounds good----paint it green--get a stainless steel toilet --we will help return that prison bath to its original charm!
Haha, I keep joking with everyone saying Morgan Freeman (Shawshank) is gonna shank me in my bathroom while I am getting ready for work in the mornings.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MooseWoodworks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Can I tile over...


Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle86 View Post
cinder block?

I know that sounds odd, but my wife and I looked at a house to purchase today and one of the bathrooms is solid cinder block. The room sits on a slab. It basically is like a shower/bathroom you would see in a locker room or prison really.

What I am wondering is if I could tile over this? It would still look odd but by tiling the room completely it would look a lot nicer. Will the tile hold up being applied over the block?


Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Pictures will be posted ASAP
You don't think you need insulation in the bathroom? In most places, I would stud it out and insulate it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
The Moose is loose.
 
MooseWoodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Default

Can I tile over...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You don't think you need insulation in the bathroom? In most places, I would stud it out and insulate it.
Ron

Much more than a fair point Ron. In fact, its common sense. But with this bathroom it is already tiny tiny. I'm not sure if framing it out wouldn't cause major space issues. Its in such a weird in between area size wise.

MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tile over Tile ?? Piney Flooring 17 02-06-2012 09:59 PM
Re-tiling a bathtub surround BillyB44 Remodeling 39 01-24-2011 06:10 PM
Trimming installed tile with tile blade in normal circular saw? jdraughn Tools 5 12-13-2009 09:07 PM
Some questions about laying Tile? DiY_RooK Flooring 1 08-31-2007 09:35 PM
Tile and laminate, or get rid of tile? kfoster Flooring 10 03-17-2006 02:14 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.