Can I Remove This? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

Can I remove this?

I put in these Jeld-Wen french doors and I want to remove this ugly aluminum threshold piece on the bottom. I know it would have been much easier to do it before install, but it's a little late for that now. I'm finally ready to put in the remaining tiles and everything is patched and painted, I just don't have that picture on my PC yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I remove this?-doors.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Can I remove this?

Is this door completely inside? If so the wrong door is installed. That is an exterior door hence the aluminum threshold. To remove it requires removal of the door, find out how the threshold is attached, remove it. Now the door is SHORTER and the trim may not cover the head opening any longer

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Fixer-'til-broker

Can I remove this?

LOL! Of course it's the right door. The right sound-deadening (home theatre), the right price, and the right color, just the wrong threshold. I was hoping to just put more screws into the casing and frame and sawzall the threshold out...somehow. The header is screwed in to a 2x4 and a 2x6. The threshold is attached to a fir stip that sandwiches the aluminum to the case.

Now, if I get it out what do I replace it with?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,256

Can I remove this?

I have no idea if it would work but you might be able to use a dremel or rotozip with a small cutting disc and carefully cut the aluminum along the frame. It would be pretty slow and you would probably go through a lot of those little discs but you would have more control than a sawsall and would be less likely to screw something up. Wear safety glasses.

I'd replace it with a nice wood threshold or you could go with marble. If the new threshold doesn't fit as snug to the bottom door gasket as the aluminum one then you'll probably not block the sound as much as you'd like.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Can I remove this?

The aluminum threshold should be on the outside. I'm no professional, but the door looks like it's been installed backwards.
jpholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

Can I remove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpholic View Post
The aluminum threshold should be on the outside. I'm no professional, but the door looks like it's been installed backwards.
But if you're in the other room the threshold is on the outside.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 PM   #7

Can I remove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
But if you're in the other room the threshold is on the outside.
The "other room" looks like an outside patio. So if you were outside, the threshold would be inside.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #8

Can I remove this?

OP says it's a home theater.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #9

Can I remove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
OP says it's a home theater.
Then why is he using an exterior door?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #10

Can I remove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpholic View Post
Then why is he using an exterior door?
He watches a lot of movies about Artic expeditions.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Fixer-'til-broker

Can I remove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
He watches a lot of movies about Artic expeditions.
As a matter of fact...

...no, but I do watch a lot of horror movies, and just maybe I like to be locked in. (yes, wife wanted the whole "impenetrable" Kwikset handle and deadbolt)

It fits in the frame better this way, and the way the doors swing and which one is set was planned...for about 3 seconds before we bought it. Trust me, it works. Well, except for the the ugly threshold. I gotta hurry up and figure this out.

Oh, and it's a garage converted into a home theatre, so the door would open to the outside anyway. I really gotta upload those pictures the next time I have time...

Last edited by DIYtestdummy; 04-03-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Arctic wants its snow back
DIYtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Can I remove this?

Remove the doors, jambs, everything. Then remove the threshhold and re-install. You may be able to get it out in place but then your door may be too high. Re-install. Interior doors do not have thresholds. Just run your tile to the mddle of the door. Same with flooring on the other side.

Assuming I understand that this is an exterior door installed in an interior partition.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Fixer-'til-broker

Can I remove this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
Remove the doors, jambs, everything. Then remove the threshhold and re-install. You may be able to get it out in place but then your door may be too high. Re-install. Interior doors do not have thresholds. Just run your tile to the mddle of the door. Same with flooring on the other side.

Assuming I understand that this is an exterior door installed in an interior partition.
Oh, HEYELLLL NO!

I shoulda done it right the first time, but the plaster is close to perfect - you can't even tell where the sheetrock ends and the case begins. As long as it took to get as far as I am, the threshold is just a small task to take care of with everything remaining intact.

Doors and casing are a pre-fab pop-in deal. You can polish a turd, but it will only decrease the value...did I say that right?

I'll cut the aluminum out and put the tile in. All I really have to worry about is the "snug plate" and possibly filling the sides from the floor up for support. Then, I'll put half of the carpet that was originally covering that space on the other side of the step.

MAN, I need to upload pictures...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #14
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Can I remove this?

OK, Sorry
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #15

Can I remove this?

WOW! this is, uh WOW!

Take 'em out completely, remove the threshold and then cut the jambs so your door is not too high off of the floor. Make sure that the thicknesss of our little friend Mr. Tile is taken into consideration before hacking legs.

It'll be cool and you could even put a sweep on the doors for sound and they'll even clean your tiles in a nice arch shape.

All joking aside, it'll be fine. The only drag is having to plumb up and shim the doors TWICE.

Advertisement

albert38 is offline   Reply With Quote