DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I install 12x12 porcelain tile on a shower wall or ceiling?

46K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Mickey53 
#1 ·
I am remodeling my bathroom and want to install the same 12x12 porcelain tile on my shower wall and ceiling as I am installing on the floor. The guy at the "big-box" store said I couldn't install a 12x12 on the wall or ceiling. He said it would be too heavy.

I have seen 12x12 installed on walls before. Is it a good idea? What about the ceiling? If I can do it, do I need an additive to the thinset to make it adhere better?
FYI (if it matters): I'm using 1/2" GP Denshield backerboard.

#3 ·
I agree with Dave, except, we use the spacers to when setting on the wall, and generally, the mastic will hold them up...but take your time. I don't know if I would try to tile a ceiling....what if the tile came loose and cracked you on the head during a steamy shower? Or worse, a romantic steamy shower?

#5 ·
My tile place has a gorgeous bathroom with 14" wall tiles diagnolly installed. It looks fantastic. Please don't take this the wrong way, but why would you want tiles on your ceiling? Personally I wouldn't want the hassle or risk. But if you do it, do like Dave said and go smaller up there.

#6 ·
For the walls, use a GOOD non-sag thinset mortar. Backbutter to increase "suction" getting them up. __________________
Doug Russell

I'm doing almost the same thing but I'm using standard size tiles that I'm cutting from floor tile scraps that my stepson has. I'm just curious, what do you mean by "backbutter" when applying the mortar?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.