Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
flu

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

can i cover bare wood with hotmudd

I had a contractor knock down a wall and put a header in. He finished it by mudding directly over the bare wood because the header he built was too wide to hang drywall over. The mudd did not adhear and cracked throughout. I have since cleaned it all up back to square one but don't know how to proceed. There is only about 1/8 in. room from the surface of the header to the outer surface of the surrounding drywall. The best i can figure is i need something thin enough to hang over the header to subsitute for drywall or some kind of precoat that would allow the finish coat to adhear to the bare wood. Would some kind of mesh work here?

flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu View Post
I had a contractor knock down a wall and put a header in. He finished it by mudding directly over the bare wood because the header he built was too wide to hang drywall over. The mudd did not adhear and cracked throughout. I have since cleaned it all up back to square one but don't know how to proceed. There is only about 1/8 in. room from the surface of the header to the outer surface of the surrounding drywall. The best i can figure is i need something thin enough to hang over the header to subsitute for drywall or some kind of precoat that would allow the finish coat to adhear to the bare wood. Would some kind of mesh work here?
Hope someone else has a magic solution for you, because I don't know of anything you can do that is going to keep the skim of mud from cracking due to the wood movement. Why didn't you get this clown to build the header correctly?

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #3

They have 1/4 " drywall. You should be able to feather out the 1/8" projection.
What was the reason the header was made too large? And it wasn't because it was needed. I don't care what the contractor says.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote