Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Rewards Points: 250

Cabinets or build???

I am planning a project to close in the back 1/3 of my garage. This room will be my home office. Here is where I need some advice. My dryer vent and outside hose pipe runs along the back wall. In addition, there is a ledge of ciderblock back there. I plan on putting up cabinets from Home Depot or Lowes on the wall as a pantry. I was thinking about building some sort of cabinet around the pipes to close them in. Now I think that I may be better off with a base kitchen cabinet that matches the top cabinets. Think that is okay? Can I cut holes in the sides of the cabinnets to run the dry vent?

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Cabinets or build???

GF: It will work fine, only thing is to make sure there is a way to get to that vent line in the event it gets clogged,busted, etc. If it was me I would go and notch as you want but INSIDE every cab which that vent runs thru, make a removeable chase or cover, that way just go inside the cabinets to replace or repair

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Cabinets or build???

GF: It will work fine, only thing is to make sure there is a way to get to that vent line in the event it gets clogged,busted, etc. If it was me I would go and notch as you want but INSIDE every cab which that vent runs thru, make a removeable chase or cover, that way just go inside the cabinets to replace or repair.
Now dont make me drive out there with my fishin gear to show u how unless you really need the help
Old 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
DIY Expert in Training!

Cabinets or build???

I am not sure what you mean by chase? I plan on removing a good chunk of the back panel and making the notch large than I need so I can manuver.

See you around LBI in the Spring to fish!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
DIY Expert in Training!

Cabinets or build???

I just had an idea...what if I framed out a wall around these obstructions. I can dry wall the front of the wall then put a kitchen cabinet over the top? This way, if I need to access the pipes I can simply pull up the counter?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Custom Cabinet Maker

Cabinets or build???

GF: A "chase" or channel :} like as u want big notches thru cabinet backs then make a removeable cover inside each cabinet so it doesnt look ugly, if need u pop cover and get to pipe. Honestly I would NOT go the "remove countertop" way. Too much work,too easy for damage to top, etc.
Bass NEED more Bass LOL LOL