Cabinet Screws. What & Where ? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,716

cabinet screws. what & where ?

i was looking at them. idk what goes where. i am sure the longer (how long ?) screws with the flatish head holds the cabinets to the wall. but 3" seems a bit much too me, is it ?

what screws do i use to join the cabinets at there faces ?
and i am sure i should predrill, how much ? are there bits for this ?

how many and where do i put the face screws ?

thanx

this is in cherry, if that makes a difference.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,232

The screws that came with my cabinets are 2-1/2 inches, but there's nothing wrong with using 3-inch ones. As for attaching the face frames, I use construction screws (look like drywall screws but are stronger). I predrill, and also countersink - there's a special bit for that. I usually use three screws, one in the center and one each near the top and bottom. I am not a pro, so someone who is may correct me, but it's what I've always done. And be sure to clamp the cabinets together so they stay lined up while your're drilling and screwing.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,698

Take pride in your work and do it the old fashion way; it will save you time of trying to remove twisted off screws, stripped screw heads etc.

Bore the first hole 3" deep ( 2-1/2" will probably work ), the diameter of C in the picture - Anchor Hole - followed by a hole through the cabinet the diameter of "B" and then the counter sink, but in your application a counter bore that has a flat bottom for your cabinet screws. If you don't have the means to grind a counter bore bit a Kreg bit will work if you fudge on the procedure and bore the counter bore hole first. A little bee's wax or bar soap on the screw threads on long screws is always a plus.

You or someone else reading this may be wondering if Fairview fell from the high chair as a baby. No, I was tied in with a tea towel, the pre-curser to seat belts in the early 40's. The reason for the boring procedure is to assure all the holes are concentric. I wish you well.
Attached Thumbnails
cabinet screws. what & where ?-pilot-anchor-holes.jpg  

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 10-17-2013 at 09:03 AM.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #4

You must be paid by the hour. I've never heard of such a protracted method of screwing cabinets together.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

the original poster is talkng about mounting them to the wall.. where did the whole assembly thing come into play

i try to avoid using 3" screws for mounting cabinets because you run the risk of hitting pipes and wires, 2 1/2" screws are plenty
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

I agree with 2 1/2"...

Assume...rear board on cabinets....3/4"
Drywall.... 1/2-5/8"
That gives you about 1 1/4" of screw into the stud.

With that said....it's important to understand which screws do what...

Most of the weight is carried by the bottom screws...A properly built cabinet is going to have a bottom strip of at least 1/2 to 3/4" wood at least 1 1/2" (I make mine 2" and are attached to the bottom shelf with screws and glue). I don't use anything smaller than a #10 screw into a stud. That screw needs to have it's strength in shear.

At the top should be another strip of wood spanning the width of the cabinet. I like to put backs on my cabinets so I have a panel 1/8 Lauan plywood on the back and it's glued to the wood strip that is typically 2" or more tall. That strip is attached to the sides and top. This strip is what keeps the top of the cabinet from pulling away from the wall. It does carry shear....but it's most important task is to keep that top up against the wall. Hence, you want to make sure that those screws go into studs....drywall anchors are not going to hack it...Once again, I use a min of a #10 2 1/2" wood screw.

Once my cabinets are in place...I also screw them to each other.

For anyone doing a kitchen do over and have the drywall off...it's a good time to put blocking between studs where the cabinets are going to attach...gives you more screwing room.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (10-20-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
the original poster is talkng about mounting them to the wall.. where did the whole assembly thing come into play
Uh, read the second paragraph of the original post, where the OP asks about joining the cabinets at their faces.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

For attaching face frames....I use biscuits....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
You must be paid by the hour. I've never heard of such a protracted method of screwing cabinets together.
I'm not paid at all and did you ever consider that on a DIY forum there may be people that's interested how well a job can be done rather than how fast. Go ahead and use your impact drivers and when one shears off just bend it over with your hammer and move on.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

I use a counter sing bit to accomplish this when attaching face frames together-----if I can't find the bit--I will use three different bits---

A set of wooden hand screws is great for clamping the face frames together---Irwin makes a dedicated face frame clamp---great design but to pricy for one job----thank you Fairview---Mike----
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

i bought these screws. the 3 1/8 just in case. and the drill bit if i need to counterbore. and as i read that the face screws go under the hinges, i may need to. i tried to find a purpose built drill bit, no luck.

i was reading up on installing/hanging. so we will see how it goes saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
cabinet screws. what & where ?-img_2182.jpg  
Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
DIY staff

To join the face frames,2" gold screws work well---pay attention to Fairviews post---

Clamp the frames together---drill like the picture and screw them together.

I work with a helper and we gang together as many cabinets as we can lift---Mike---
Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
I'm not paid at all and did you ever consider that on a DIY forum there may be people that's interested how well a job can be done rather than how fast. Go ahead and use your impact drivers and when one shears off just bend it over with your hammer and move on.
Who said anything about an impact driver?? I don't even own one. And if you notice, oh'mike's post outlines almost exactly the same way to join the face frames as what I do. And only a single bit is required.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
DIY staff

This isn't advanced finish carpentry---I use what I can find in the truck---fortunately ,I have a bunch of battery drills--so I do not need to change bits--just change drills----
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #15

cabinets are here. install start today.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-19-2013)