Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Buying a house to flip

Hi, I'm a newbie on all of this, but have lots of friends to help me flip my first home for a profit. The question I have is how do you decide how much to pay for a house that needs to be renovated from an insurance claim that basically will involve replacing the kitchen, bathroom and hardwood floors throughout the house.

The homeowners will not be sharing the insurance settlement. They say they just need to let go of it. Real estate in the neighborhood goes for 90-125,000. So, how much should I offer to bring it up to habitable grade and still make money on my "flip"?

etobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

Buying a house to flip

Let's see, pay as little as possible, the do as little as possible to rip off the person who eventually buys the property ?

tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Full time DIY

Buying a house to flip

Honestly, if you are asking, this is probably an endeavor you should not be getting in to. That said, you need to make your money with your purchase price, usually at least 30% below market value. You also have to consider what it's going to cost you in real estate fees and capital gains tax on the sale to determine if it's even worth while. Additionally, in order to get top dollar you have to have good quality finishings, if you can't provide that, you won't make your money.
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-Mo For This Useful Post:
etobia (06-11-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

Buying a house to flip

Virgin flipper in a dead real estate market. What could go wrong?
Where is this property?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Tileguy

Buying a house to flip

Quote:
Timing is everything, what is wrong with this picture? Paying cash throughout I hope.
Here's a few things that are going to kill your plan and turn this dream into a money pit from hell.

1. ...have lots of friends to help me
2. ...how do you decide how much to pay
3. ...replacing the kitchen, bathroom and hardwood floors throughout the house
4. ...Real estate in the neighborhood goes for 90-125,000

Maybe you should buy yourself a motorcycle and have some fun on the road and stop watching those phony get-rich-quick TV programs.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #6

Buying a house to flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Where is this property?
Upstate NY has an active market In this price range. all the folks who were buying higher end places (200-800,000) are now looking for good old fashioned ranch houses. I've checked the neighborhood comparables for sales between 2006-2011. When I get a min. I'll send photos and more detail.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #7

Buying a house to flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by etobia View Post
Upstate NY has an active market In this price range. all the folks who were buying higher end places (200-800,000) are now looking for good old fashioned ranch houses. I've checked the neighborhood comparables for sales between 2006-2011. When I get a min. I'll send photos and more detail.
You're correct about the upper end houses up there. I have a customer in Copake, NY(about 50 miles South of Albany) trying to sell a house. Price range in $330k. It's been on the market a month and no one has even seen the house.
Another house 300 yards away just dropped the price $149k to $450k.
Real Estate agents who saw the house while I was there described the market slower then they've seen yet. That includes all price ranges according to them.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #8

Buying a house to flip

Elmira-CORNING and Syracuse market. I have seen four houses on my street alone sell fast (1 month) prices between 85,000 for 2 bedrms and 150,000 for 4 bedrm three bath raised ranches.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #9

Buying a house to flip

You need to start with a spreadsheet of ALL your potential expenses- cost of every supply and worker, plus mortgage, insurance, real estate commission, etc. Add in 20 percent for overages and don't play the game of "well...I bet the plumber will only be $1,000"--get a real estimate. If you have friends working on it--what is their expertise--would you hire them if you had the money to pay them? Will the work be up to code? Otherwise you've got liability issues.

If you've never remodeled a house before, it is a very complex and involved process-even when doing the minimum to make it sell. I would start by helping someone else run such a project (where you don't have your money invested in the purchase) and watch how it goes. Very few people make money at it because they don't count all the costs. When you take out a mortgage, for example, that is money down the drain for the entire time you are working on the house. It is not tax deductible unless it's your primary residence.

Anyway...do your homework. Talk to people who have done it and ask to see their spreadsheets...If they don't have one, then don't believe them when they say they've made money.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

Buying a house to flip

All the jobs are leaving Upstate NY. The taxes are out of control. It is a great buyers market. Sellers market? Not so much. I like your chances slightly more in the Elmira-Corning area. Syracuse is pretty much one big ghetto from what I've seen and read. In the 90-150K range there is not much room for markup.

I've looked at a few "flips" I can usually tell a flip before even walking into the house. Note to novice buyers aka property virgins. If you see a lot of wall to wall carpet, wall paper, new paint, especially textured paint RUN, don't walk away from that house flip ripoff.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #11

Buying a house to flip

From a cost perspective, determine the comparables for sale in that area. Then subtract at least 25K in order to undercut your competition to push for a quick sale. Then take that price and subtract the estimated costs of renovations, and also subtract your expected profit on the flip. The end result is how much you should offer.

Example: comparables=100K creates a starting list price of $75K; less 50K for renovations gets you to 25K; less your profit of 25K.. allows you to offer zero....

Seriously, if youve never flipped a house, if you've never done all that work yourself, you're probably in over your head. Realize that the cheaper the house, the harder it is to renovate and flip. Its all relative percentages based on current market trends, neighborhood pricing, etc, etc.
Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #12

Buying a house to flip

we both got laid off in california and my wife eventually found a job in ohio. she looked at one house that from our info was a foreclosure. we found out someone had bought it and was going to flip it. they installed new cheap carpet and had it painted. was a really sloppy paint job. they were looking to make a quick 38,000.00 on it. we decided on a house 2 blocks awaythat was 32,000.00 cheaper. eventually they had to rent it or move into it and over a year later its still for sale. my uncle bought a 3200 sq foot house for 131,000.00. it needed painting and new floors. 6 months later a 2800 sq fthouse 2 blocks from him with all new floors and a new kitchen, cabinets and appliances was going for 119,000.00. i would say you are taking a chance doing it at this time. i dont know why people are even building new houses with all the new ones sitting there for sale and all the existing pre owned houses that are for sale at really good prices. if you arent careful you can price your house right out of what the neighborhood will take.

Last edited by DannyT; 06-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Long-Time DIYer

Buying a house to flip

I've been a fulltime real estate broker for more than 24 years in Northeastern Coastal North Carolina, and I have never seen the market this bad.
A virgin flip at this point in time is a good way just to lose your virginity IMHO.
You have missed that safe "flip" market period, and if you do not know far more than it seems, DO NOT DO IT!!!
Fact: The United States has lost more real estate value (adjusted for inflation) in the past four years than in the worst 10 years of the Great Depression!
Don't believe what you hear from Washington about this "recession" being over. It isn't over by a long shot.
There are some areas that have hit bottom, but most have not. I don't see things beginning to turn for at least five years in many areas of the country, but there are exceptions of course.. There are just far too many homes on the market with a couple of million more waiting on foreclosure to join them.
Keep your cash in a FDIC insured bank account and save yourself the get-rich-quick-too-good-to-be-true experience.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Buying a house to flip

I would get a thorough inspection on the property whether buying it for a flip or for any sort of rehab to it. In my opinion, most flippers rank right up there with the slumlords and the rest of nature's bottom feeders. They don't care about the property, fixing it up right, or who ultimately gets stuck with their compromises at every corner. They feed the American dream with a high lustre no substance diet.

I hope I heard it wrong and was not paying attention but think I heard a recent study showed 60-70 percent of people with mortgages owe more on the mortgage than the home or property will ever be worth again. All it takes to really bring property values down further than perhaps those in a completely foreclosed or otherwise abandoned neighborhood is silly assed flippers with cute tool belts and cheap stuff doing rehabs and renovations.

Last edited by user1007; 06-16-2011 at 06:33 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Buying a house to flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I've looked at a few "flips" I can usually tell a flip before even walking into the house. Note to novice buyers aka property virgins. If you see a lot of wall to wall carpet, wall paper, new paint, especially textured paint RUN, don't walk away from that house flip ripoff.
Great advice!!!

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flip, purchase price