Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Share |

Bump out? Or better ideas for a better floor plan?

We have had our house for almost a month and I've been loving it. Albeit there was a major hot water issue that set us back some, but overall it's everything that I had expected.

Being in the house I am starting to see some shortcomings, some I had anticipated, others I had not. To give an idea I have placed a floor plan up for reference. What is not seen in that floor plan is the narrow driveway to the left of the house and that the majority of in/out traffic happens out the back door, not the front door.

[Current Floorplans]

So what are the shortcomings I have seen?

1. Lack of a mudroom. Yes I know I have a beautiful front entrance which once you walk in you are presented with two closets. However since we ride up the driveway (which is awfully narrow) you come in the rear entrance.

2. Bathrooms. The house has two baths, which in this area it's a premium since many places have one to one-and-a-half. However the baths are very small, lack wall outlets (there is a single outlet on a lamp fixture), and lacks a wall switch. They also lack any storage. To complicate matters there is no bath on the ground floor. There seems to be enough room where the two closets are between the kitchen and study, but then I would sacrifice the built-in bookshelf in the study (or make it much smaller).

3. Closet space. Beds #3 and #4 have generous closets while the Master Bed and the flanking bed have quite small closets.

4. Doors. Oh I have doors! It's nice because it allows for cross ventilation from any angle, but the door placement adds some difficulty in general room layouts.

5. Windows. A couple small problems with the windows, one of them being they are very tall so putting anything in front of them typically obstructs the window. This isn't as noticeable on the ground floor with 8' 6" ceiling, but the second floor has only 8' ceilings.

6. The bonus room. There is a bonus room that could be leveraged as a master suite, but I am quite weary of the ramifications of trying to do up space in the attic as living quarters.

So all this has me thinking that a bump out might have to be in order. This would be in the rear, and would nearly match the dimensions of the rear deck (which at this point is not really usable as a deck).

[Bump-out Floorplan Concept

This would gain me:

Ability to expand the bathrooms
Ability to add the mudroom
Ability to have a ground floor bath without sacrificing the built-in bookshelf

In addition, I am considering re-working the Bed #2 area to make it similar in size to #3 and #4, but it would allow me to build in a WIC for the master bed. I'm also thinking of making another built in cabinet for the entertainment area

All of this is to try to maximize space, but as I noted before I want to keep as much of the character of the house.

Thoughts?

LTParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
We have had our house for almost a month and I've been loving it.
Sort of a questioned statement considering the 6 shortcomings you have listed. Hopefully the pluses outweigh your listed shortcomings.

Was this a new build home or did was it already built when you decided to purchase?

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

Old 1930 existing home.

LTParis is offline   Reply With Quote