DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Bulking walls ? (

av1998 03-07-2006 07:15 PM

Bulking walls ?

I am new here. I would like to ask a puzzling question regarding bulking walls in a house that I toured. I have a few pictures to illustrate the problem:

Please click on them to see a higher resolution image.

Can anyone tell me what kind of problem this might be ? Thank you.

tgeb 03-07-2006 08:03 PM

My guess would be water damage.


DecksEtc 03-07-2006 08:54 PM

Looks like water damage to me too. Did the high spots feel spongy?

In case you're wondering what to do should you buy the place... 1. rip it all down, 2. find the source of the problem, 3. look for signs of mold, 4. replace any damage wall joists, 5. Re-sheet the entire wall.

joed 03-08-2006 05:57 PM

Those would be bulging walls not bulking walls. Definitely needs to be totally removed and inspected.

Teetorbilt 03-08-2006 08:37 PM

I don't know what it is but pregnant walls are not good. You aren't considering purchasing...........are you?

ron schenker 03-08-2006 09:51 PM

Are these all exterior walls?

av1998 03-10-2006 07:58 AM

Those bulging walls are walls in the rooms upstairs of a 2-story house. They go all around 3 or 4 walls for each room. There is no bulging higher up and lower down ..... just the middle part of the height of the walls wrapped around the entire rooms. Very strange.

daveincincy 03-13-2006 08:29 AM

WOW! :eek:

Looks like the 2nd floor is collapsing (i.e. caving in). I'd agree with the comments on water damage, but then you say it's like that on 3 - 4 walls in every room upstairs which makes me wonder if it's more structural than just water since it's affecting interior walls as well...although water may be contributing. You'd think you might see some signs of water damage higher up, but it's all like 4' up. Since you don't own the home, I wouldn't think you'd be able to tear into the wall. I'd have it inspected by an engineer, or at the very least, have someone come out and detect for moisture behind the wall. I don't know what the device is called, but they can measure moisture levels behind the wall without having to actually go into the wall, or with only a very small opening.....but someone's going to have to go into it eventually so cutting even a 2" square shouldn't be objectionable by the homeowner. Personally, I'd be really nervous about purchasing the house unless you can get it for a really really good deal and plan on "flipping" it. Last thing I'd want to do is go to bed on the 2nd floor and wake up on the 1st floor having never left the bed. :)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1