Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #1

Share |

Built-in bookcases

How do you remove built-in bookcases? Mine look like they are part of the wall up to the ceiling.

Built-in bookcases-image-100075874.jpg

Chr1571na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Built-in bookcases

You would frame a wall in their place and cover with drywall. Those look decent save for being a bit thin. Most don't like giving up storage spaces like shelves. Why do you want to get rid of them? If you don't like the open look, why not put some cabinet door fronts on them. Glass or wood I suppose.

Last edited by user1007; 02-23-2012 at 03:39 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
DIY staff

Built-in bookcases

Remove the top trim---

Look for screws holding the top box to the wall---remove those--they should be spaced 16" apart--

Once the top section is removed--see if the counter top is removable---if it is remove that--

Remove trim at floor--unscrew cabinet from wall---should be screws on back of cabinet just under the counter top---
Chr1571na (02-24-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
JOATMON

Built-in bookcases

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Remove the top trim---

Look for screws holding the top box to the wall---remove those--they should be spaced 16" apart--

Once the top section is removed--see if the counter top is removable---if it is remove that--

Remove trim at floor--unscrew cabinet from wall---should be screws on back of cabinet just under the counter top---
Well....I was going to suggest a BFH.....but I guess the above method is a bit 'cleaner'.

If I was making that cabinet....I would have either nailed the face frame on with finishing nails or used pocket screws.

Pocket screws will have an angled hole cut in the side of the wood. The screw uses a square head bit to remove.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #5

Built-in bookcases

Thank you for the suggestions! I will look at it tomorrow to see what we can do. We don't like the visibility of everything on the shelves but also they are not sturdy at all. We can't put anything too heavy on them like plates. The kitchen has no pantry. Instead, the washer and dryer are in what would be a pantry. I want to install two tall pantry cabinets on the far right then a couple of regular cabinets and lastly a section on the end just big enough for two to eat at. I am concerned about the countertop. It is made out of the same tile that's on the floor and everything looks so permanent. Won't know until I try the above methods for removal. I'll take a picture tomorrow to post of the counter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chr1571na For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #6

Built-in bookcases

If you put some facing on them, this will stiffen up the shelves. This will also allow you to put some overlay doors on them, which will hide what you have on them.

I think this solves both of your problems.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #7

Built-in bookcases

Cleaveman, thank you for the suggestion. I already purchased some discounted cabinets that can not be returned. Plus I'd like to build a small nook to use for eating on. The kitchen is too small for a table so it would be very useful to have that. There's just enough room where the opening of the kitchen is to add it.
I have to add that I am an extreme novice and will have to google facings to find out what that is. LoL I will have to get back with the counter top pictures later because one of my twin boys is sick and running fever.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

Built-in bookcases

Tylenol & Motrin every 4 hours, switched, will take care of that fever.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
Chr1571na (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #9

Built-in bookcases

Thanks cleaveman! That's exactly what Peds at the hospital said to do!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #10

Built-in bookcases

The bookcases is just a piece of furniture made of wood or any metal containing more shelves that can be used to contain books or any other printed material you have got.

ecommmark@gmaic is offline   Reply With Quote