Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

building up Floor to match two rooms.

I am converting a screened porch to sunroom and will be connected to our kitchen that has wood floors. the porch currently is a suspended slab that i need to build up to level with kitchen floor.

Its 3 5/8 from slab to top of wood floor in kitchen. Need to rip PT 2x4, add subfloor, then oak flooring.

Should i use 7/16 subfloor or 22/32? By using a thinner subfloor i would be able to fit more insulation between slab a subfloor.......

Any thought on this??????

jack09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Where do you live; climate is perhaps not a big issue.
What finish floor? If tile, you may need to structure the floor to not flex so grout/tiles don't crack.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Where do you live; climate is perhaps not a big issue.
What finish floor? If tile, you may need to structure the floor to not flex so grout/tiles don't crack.
The new floor will also be oak flooring. It will be like walking from one room to another so it needs to be flush.

I live in NC...Have put moisture barrier on the slab and will put plastic in the crawl-space.
jack09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack09 View Post
The new floor will also be oak flooring. It will be like walking from one room to another so it needs to be flush.

I live in NC...Have put moisture barrier on the slab and will put plastic in the crawl-space.
I seem to remember that a plastic vapor barrier over a concrete slab can be a source of condensation, especially where it is warm and humid like NC. The vapor barrier will keep moisture from the concrete side, but moisture can collect on top of the plastic which is up against the cold concrete. I think you would want some minimum height between the plastic and the wood to allow for ventilation and keep the moisture from building up.

Possibly the addition of some insulation would remedy the issue, but where there is moisture, you usually need to give it somewhere to go. I don't remember all about this, so I just think this is something you should look into. I know some builders don't recommend a wood floor over a concrete slab. I think a tile or stone solution could be better. You could add in floor heating if you think it would be uncomfortable at some times of the year.

You mention a crawl space, is that under the house or under that sun room?

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem is offline   Reply With Quote