Is Building A "thin" Frame For Drywall Possible And Common? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Is building a "thin" frame for drywall possible and common?

So we have a contractor working to "finish" our basement.

Like in any other basement, he is having to drywall around oddball structures such as plumbing pipes, duct work, etc. The problem I am seeing is that all such "frames" built around those to-be-hidden structure (such as a sewer pipe coming from upper floors and disappearing into the concrete floor) are all done using 2x4 lumber. That mean that there is a minimum of ~3.5" of wasted space all around due to the width of the 2x4 lumber. When the enclosure is done, we are left with a drywall area which is not just a slightly "thicker"/bulkier than the plumbing pipe, but quite a big bulge due to the extra space taken by framing lumber.

Is there any way to drywall in such odd ball structures (such as a plumbing sewer pipe) so that the find drywall fixture is not too bulky and "thick"???

Also: is what I am asking for and attempting to do a common practice, or in most all cases, just 2x4 lumber is used for framing such oddball fixtures.

thanks much.

Advertisement

cad1857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,020

Re: Is building a "thin" frame for drywall possible and common?

Picture of what he's done would be nice.
I'd want is as strong as possible, for less flexing, sagging, something thick enough to hold the screws and not split when building it.

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 936

Well, you really can't frame with anything less than 2 x 4 lumber. I mean you can't use something like 1 x 4's or bumping into it would cause damage. Post a pic so we can see what you're seeing. You can lay 2 x 4's flat against a basement wall in some cases to give you a bit more (2 inches on each wall) floor space, but framing out around pipes, etc. is usually done to just barely cover that kind of stuff.......framers usually don't build a 10" x 8" box to cover a pipe that sticks out 5 or 6 inches proud of the wall.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 13,350

If the pipe is curved or sloped they will frame level around it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 30

I disagree, I think if you used 2x2 you could be fine, especially since the whole structure is backed up by the pipe. Is it as strong? No. But should be strong enough.

Brad
Infiniti Window Coverings
infinitiwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,818

I have used 2 x 2's and OSB or plywood for boxing out things in non-structural locations.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 802

It was a magazine article many yrs ago so tried it and worked: boxing basement posts with drywall. 3 sides made with 2x2 corners, locate it then fill the space with spray foam around the post. Corners can be metal corner beads for sheetrocking, but the beads can be pain to screw into when nothing is supporting it. Careful with the cost and expanding foam.
2x4 gives you room for wires, etc, but if you want just the boxing material, anything will work. 3/4 ply is strong enough but you want to separate it from the objects, esp for the nails and screws used. You don't want to forget and screw into a pvc pipes and such.
1x3 by itself may be too flexible but you can put in reinforcing braces, diagonal or ladder style. Use 2x6 to put the pipe in the stud bay.
Sonotubes can be cut in half for half round instead of the usual boxy structures.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 802

Sorry I missed your question. It is common practice. In fact, sometimes it is a problem where carpenters left things hanging, eg, no drywall nailers and these days using the glue for some structures.

Advertisement

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote