DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

building a shower ceiling in a non-perfect situation

15K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Sir MixAlot 
#1 ·
Hi!
We have a contractor who is only so-so. For a variety of different reasons, we are going to continue working with him. We are installing a shower with a plastic base (the kind you find at Home Depot). He installed the walls around the shower (with Durock, by my demand) and greenboard in the rest of the bathroom. Unfortunately, the ceiling of the shower is blueboard. (He had installed the blueboard before I found out about Durock/Hardibacker.) He is installing tiles on the walls around the shower. The question is: how do we minimize the mistake of intalling blueboard on the ceiling? Should we paint over it with water-resistant paint? should we tile over it? At this point, we cannot ask the contractor to redo it, or even add durock on top of the blueboard. So, what should we do given the current reality, and what will make it easiest to "clean up" this mistake in years to come?

I think we need to tell him what to do later today-aghh! (I have researching this question for a while, but have found nothing helpful, so I am asking your opinions.) I am a newby (this is my first real post, and our first big remodeling project), so please go easy on me (i.e. please don't insult the contractor or tell me to get a new one.) :huh:

Thanks,
Liat

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
....The question is: how do we minimize the mistake of intalling blueboard on the ceiling? .....Should we paint over it with water-resistant paint? should we tile over it? .....At this point, we cannot ask the contractor to redo it, or even add durock on top of the blueboard. So, what should we do given the current reality, and what will make it easiest to "clean up" this mistake in years to come?
That is a relatively minor mistake.
It should be fine. The ceiling is not going to be in direct contact with water. Just paint the ceiling with a good bathroom paint, to seal it.

The only time durock is installed in a shower ceiling, is when it has a low ceiling height, and tile is going to be installed over it.

Once painted, with the proper bathroom paint, and accompanied with the proper sized exhaust vent, that ceiling should last for many, many years.

#4 ·
That is a relatively minor mistake.
It should be fine. The ceiling is not going to be in direct contact with water. Just paint the ceilling with a good bathroom paint, to seal it.

The only time durock is installed in a shower ceiling, is when it has a low ceiling height, and tile is going to be installed over it.

Once painted, with the proper bathroom paint, and accompanied with the proper sized exhaust vent, that ceiling should last for many, many years.

Actually, in our case, it is a very low ceiling for the shower. Also, there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom- we tried to figure out a way to put one in, but couldn't make it work. Do you still hold by your suggestion to paint it with a proper bathroom paint? or should we do something else/in addition?
Thanks!

#5 ·
Angus242, I can try to answer your questions. Keep in mind that we are talking about a less-than perfect situation. From what I understand, the blueboard is the type of board that is similar to sheetrock, only with a blue layer on the outside (gypsum on the inside). I am pretty sure is not GP DensGuard. Also, yes, the tiles on the walls of the shower are already up. Any suggestions given the current situation?

Thanks.

#6 ·
Sorry, not much you can do AFTER the fact. Lesson learned (I hope).

At this point, just follow AtlanticWBConst's advice. That and save up for a new shower in about 5 years and be prepared for mold remediation. :(

What SHOULD have happened , so you are aware for the future, was:
1/2" cement board on the shower walls.
WATERPROOF with membrane or liquid
Tile

Cement board on ceiling IF you tile.
Does the bathroom have a window? If not, a fan is code. If you choose to ignore building codes, I would consider using a mold resistant wall board like DensArmor. Greenboard will NOT help.

People......water + paper = mold
You can't beat chemistry!

Yes, your contractor was not qualified for this. Perhaps you can relay this information to him so we can all learn a lesson from this. I'm sorry about your situation. It truly pains me to hear people getting into this situation. I'm very serious about the mold issue. I would honestly save to have this redone in the up coming years. At least next time, you'll be better prepared!

Good luck

#7 · (Edited)
Did you pull a permit for this project?

It sounds like you hired a person with very little background and experience to do such a job. Building Code requires an exhaust fan (venting to the exterior of the home).

As far as the ceiling goes, as stated: no exhaust fan = you are going to have problems with the ceiling cracking and peeling in less than a year.

#10 ·
Did you pull a permit for this project?
Building Code requires an exhaust fan (venting to the exterior of the home).

As far as the ceiling goes, as stated: no exhaust fan = you are going to have problems with the ceiling cracking and peeling in less than a year.
An exhaust fan will certainly help.

However, just for clarity's sake, there is a major "hole" in the International Residential Code regarding bath fans. The code requires a fan in the room containing the water closet, but does not go as far as to say that the room containing the tub or shower requires the fan. This isn't a major issue in most homes because the water closet is in the same room as the bath/shower, but when the water closet is located in its own room, putting a fan in that room satisfies the code requirement...Technically. It comes down to definitions, but the code is currently written to deal with poo smell and not humidity. What's worse is that you can get away with no bath fan if you have an operable window in the room. Maybe in Florida it is possible to throw the window open when there's a bad smell or too much humidity in the bathroom in January, but here in Kansas that won't happen!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.