Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #1

Share |

Building room in basement...

Hey guys, another newbie here...been lurking for a long time and have made many decsions based on what you guys have had to say. How knows how much money you all have saved me over the past few months!! So, thank you!!!

BUT...I so have a question that I haven't seen asked.

I'm in the middle of framing a room in my basement that I'm going to be using for a music studio/office. I'm doing some things to help with sound issues and one of them is this Cotton Fiber Insulation...the only issue is, two of the walls are against the poured concrete exterior walls. I'm framing the walls 3" away from the walls and was going to use Kraft faced insultion. But, now, in an effort to help with the sound, this stuff doesn't have paper to help attach to the studs, but, also, there is no vapor barrior...so, the question is...

If I use this Cotton Fiber Insulation, what should I do for a vapor barrior? and how would I keep it up between the studs so that it doesn't fall so it's not sitting there against the concrete wall and I have no way of putting it back up...

Any thoughts you guys would have would be great!!!

Packer Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Backer View Post
If I use this Cotton Fiber Insulation, what should I do for a vapor barrior?
Use poly staples to the studs on the warm side of the walls.

Suggestion: Even if you use cotton fiber for sound attenuation, I strongly suggest that you install rigid foam on the lower 12" of each bay. You can get the thicker foam, and double, or even triple it to fit you wall thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Backer View Post
....and how would I keep it up between the studs so that it doesn't fall so it's not sitting there against the concrete wall and I have no way of putting it back up...
You can construct the stud placements, so that the spacing between each stud, will snuggly fit the insulation. That way, you do not need anything else to hold the insulation up but the snug fit.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #3

Just so I'm clear...

You're saying (from the outside in):

Foundation wall, 3" gap, stud wall with insualtion (the rigid foam on the bottom 12"), some sort of plastic vapor barrior then my drywall.

Correct?

Does the type of vapor barrior matter? Any reomendations?

Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be back with all sorts of questions as I progress. I gotta get this done soon cuz we're expecting our second child in November and my office now (where I work from home) will be her room...nothing like waiting till the last minute!! ;-)
Packer Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Yes, correct.

Simple 3 to 4 mill Poly will work. Overlap the edges by about 4".

Hopefull you don't have any serious moisture issues. If so, get those corrected pronto.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #5

You may have thought of this, but here it is -- also add insulation to the interior walls. I've seen this done in a kitchen and it does wonders to keep noise down. Most people just do exterior walls, but why not do the whole thing?
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote