Building Kitchen Table To Support Granite Countertop - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building kitchen table to support granite countertop

I am remodeling my kitchen and have a dilemma with installing a granite counter-top to be used as a dining table. Our house has a support pole exactly in the area that a table would go. I had a structural engineer come out and he said that it can't be removed without major remodeling because it supports the beam running the span of the kitchen and den area. So I am stuck with having to deal with building a table around the pole. Right now I have a small table made out of wood and laminate. My question is what type of support do I need to support a granite counter top. I know it's heavy and I don't want to build anything that is too bulky since the area is small to begin with. I would prefer support legs only, but since the granite would have to be cut to fit around the pole I am sure that would affect the structural integrity of the granite. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Building kitchen table to support granite countertop-dsc02120-001.jpg

Advertisement

borocay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

How about bigger corbels on 4 sides for support either way I would ask your closest granite fabricators might need stiffening rods

Advertisement

kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Have you considered Granite Transformations? Much lighter in weight than granite, toughest countertop you can have.
Kansas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

You will have to make a table that will fit under the granite. Unless it is going to be round. Looking at the room with wood everywhere it seems a bit out of place. A nice wood table that can fit around the post or?
4reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Here are some alternatives to granite; some of them are much lighter than granite, also cheaper.
http://www.kitchencabinetkings.com/b...-alternatives/
arianaI is offline   Reply With Quote