Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #1

Share |

Build Front Porch on Modular

Attachment 86244

[ATTACH]86245[/ATTACH

]Hello! This is my first thread on here and I'm seeking some professional advice. We are wanting to build a craftsman style front porch on our modular home that's a year old. It will be apprx. 14ft wide and 8ft deep. We have an existing pitch/gable on the front of the house that were wanting to attach it too and basically build out from there 8 ft. I have done flat front porches before but never tied into a pitched roof like this and I'm seeking some advice.

You can see the attached picture of our house now. It has the cedar shake look alike material and the stone front.

Then you can see the other attached image of what we are wanting to build. I need to know the best way to build it and to tie it into my existing house. Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-19-2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Rotate pictures
mbudds89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

If it is on a foundation, there should be no problem attaching the deck. Suggest you contact the manufacturer for plans, so you know if there is wood or steel at where there needs to be a plate for you to attach lag bolts to hold the deck against the structure.

Otherwise it would have to be unattached and built so that it is secured, but not attached in any form to the structure.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually planning on setting 2-4 post for the support and wanting to tie the roof in to the house. Any suggestions on that?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

You are going to have to obtain the building plans from the company that built the modular home. Then go to your county, to see if they will allow you to do what you want.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

I spoke to manufacturer and they suggested doing 4 poles. two at front and two by house in back and then tie it in so its not so weight bearing. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the framewokr of the roof???
Old 06-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

Google "post and beam porch framing detail"
gregzoll (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #7

Could you tear the soffit open and sister joists to the roof?
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

Thanks guys for the input. Yes I planned on tearing the softet off. What then you think? or is this necessary? I would ideally like to only put 2 post in the front and not have post in the back against the house. Thoughts?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:41 AM   #9

Following, thanks.
Jerven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #10

If the manufacturer says 4 posts, it may mean you don't have enough of a structure to attach roof rafters/roof structure.
You may have to think of a free standing porch. Roof sheath can be butted to existing and shingles tied to existing. Don't leave space for people who'll be walking on it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
mnp13 (06-23-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #11

Ok, I removed some of the sheath/facia(please forgive my ignorance on the correct names) and it's a really solid feeling 2x6 that builds the top peak. Do you think this is enough to tie into it and eliminate putting polls against the house and only do polls on the front? If so, whats the best way to tie into it? Thanks for the input so far.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Did you pull both the front and bottom material, to see the timber that is behind that sheating? Post pictures of the framing, now that you have it uncovered.

As for the mfg stating to use four 6x6" poles. It would be that most localities do not allow direct connection of porches or overhangs on modular or even single wide manufactured homes.

It all depends on what your locality allows.

That roof design you posted. You should be able to find drawings online, or have a local architect draw them up, so you can get a permit to build.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #13

gregzoll,

I don't need a permit where I live lol. I live in southern Illinois and in a very very rural area so this is not necessary. The Mfg has not made any suggestions to me on what poles to use or how many. I was planning on using pressure treated 4x4's. The 2x6 is hung againt other 2x6 boards every 16in along the peak. I hope this makes since. So it was just a simple "build out" from the top plate more or less.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

You need to use 6x6, not 4x4. You are also in Tornado country. Just because your county does not require permits. The state of Illinois, still has a set of building rules you have to abide by. Especially when it comes to their decision to hand FEMA money to you, if your home gets destroyed from a storm or Tornado.

As for the 2x6's being hung on the other. Post pictures. Pictures speak volumes.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #15

Greg, are you confusing modular construction with manufactured, mobile, etc? If a stick built can have direct connection in an area, then a modular should also be allowed. There's no real difference in the way their built. Modular should actually be stronger in almost all cases.

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covered porch, front porch, modular porch, patio