Breezy Inside House - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Breezy inside house

We had the wood siding stripped off our 80 year old house and had HardiePlank put on in October. They put on Typar first. Weather got cold and we have triple track storm windows. Why now, after all this good work, do we suddenly feel cold air around the windows? Where the panes are, not the frames. Plus, lots of ice forming on the storms...we've lived here 14 years and I don't remember seeing it like this. My husband's theory is that now the house is so well sealed that the old 80 year wooden windows are the only place moisture can go, but where was it going before?

The crew that did the work went very fast and inside the house here and there I see nailheads popping thru the window frames that I know weren't there before. In the process of tearing off the old siding, could they have done damage to the windows from outside, to let air somehow start to come in? The old storms were taken off and then put back on and they did caulk them all.

It's a mystery. Please advise.

Margaret

Advertisement

MargaretBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Breezy inside house

I think your husband may be correct. Make sure all your weatherstripping is in good condition. Even if it is your windows will be the coldest. I assume the moisture/ice is on the inside. You may want to consider vent fans above the stove and in the bathrooms to remove excess moisture.

Without replacing the windows with more energy efficient ones there are only a few things you can do. There is a plastic film you can put on to help seal things. It works OK, may want to try that.

You shouldn't see nails from the siding anywhere.

Advertisement

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Breezy inside house

Thank you for your reply. Call me a little dim, but if everything dissipated before the Typar & HardiePlank, did it actually go thru plaster walls and then out the sheathing & clapboards? It is true that we have no vent fan in any of the bathrooms...we have a short section of a plank holding the bathroom window open year round instead! Not smart, I know...but we just wanted to wait on everything in the bathrooms until we are ready for a total bath remodel.

We did get 4 new replacement windows with the HardiePlank...actually they are Anderson Woodwright series replacement window inserts...no damage to the plaster or trim inside the house. But they were over $800.00 each, installed and I think we have something like 26 more that need to be replaced...until we recover from the HardiePlank job, no more work done around here...windows or baths either.

These old houses are a challenge. Meanwhile I'm having trouble figuring out why it is drafty in here now when it wasn't before the HardiePlank/Typar. As for the nailheads, I meant in the interior wood trim of the old windows...in fact they sort of broke one piece of window trim...the clean-up people that come after the main crew told me that in their opinion the guys got the pry bars too far up underneath something when they were working outside. The window installer came in and somehow got that window frame back into place, thank goodness. If I can come up with any more clues, I'll let you know.
MargaretBelle is offline   Reply With Quote