Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |

Breezeway as a playroom

Hi knowledgable people,

We converted our garage into living space last year and are now in the process of building our new garage attached via breezeway. They both have frost footers and slabs poured and the garage lumber and materials were delivered today!! So in the past week my husband and I have decided to use the breezeway as a playroom for our three little monsters (boys)! We plan to build the floor off the slab with 2x4 and 3/4" OSB. But I want some advise on how to insulate the floor between and the walls. The construction will be 2x6 for walls and one wall is the other side of our fireplace in the family room and the other will be shared with the garage. The dimensions are 9.5' wide and 18.5' deep. We will have a good insulated slider in the back and a good insulated slider window on the front along with a steel nine lite door and storm door. I am hoping to put cedar on the ceiling along with a ceiling fan and we will a few outlets too. The room does not have any ductwork but we were figuring on incorporating a electric baseboard heater for our NE Ohio winters.

Sorry this so long but in reading other posts I noticed slot of people didnt give enough info. So once again I am looking for advise on making sure this room is insulated well and we use the right vapor barriers to avoid mold and mildew. The foundation is above the grade of my driveway so we shouldn't have any issues there.
Thanks

Loveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #2

Breezeway as a playroom

Please post advice!

Loveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

Breezeway as a playroom

Personally I would use spray foam insulation, it is much more cost effective now as it can be a DIY job. Lowes has the kit for arround $200-300 and the nice thing is it acts as a vapor barrier as well. For the floor I might just opt for dri-core and put electric in floor heating in as you are at the construction stage.Hope this helps
Vook is offline   Reply With Quote