Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Breakfast bar top

Hi guys, I've had a half wall in my kitchen for over a year and I'm tired of looking at it. I decided in a long string of events to put a top on it I'm going to first replace my old cabinets to make the tips match. Since I have a small kitchen I was going to add more cabinets under my breakfast top. I got 2 wall mounted cabinets to mount under the top. My question is how to support the counter top? The cabinets do not touch the floor and will be mounted just above the outlet(hopefully the picture loads on here). Any ideas on how to support the top and to mount to top on there since there is about an inch gap around the edge of the counter top. Thanks in advance for the help

Breakfast bar top-image-2170610178.jpg

Andruw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 68

Breakfast bar top

I just got to ask, Why would you use wall cabinets and not base cabinets?
It would be so much simpler.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Breakfast bar top

All the base cabinets I found were about 30 inches and my top is about 40 inches. I don't plan on being in the house too long so I didn't want to spend a lot on it. Just got the cabinets from lowes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 68

Breakfast bar top

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...CAF41D&first=1
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #5

Breakfast bar top

Thanks for the pictures but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get out of the picture. I have the half wall for some support but I was thinking of putting a small board over the cabinets and then maybe some type of support underneath. Brackets or what have you. I don't know if the wall cabinets would be good to support some weight considering the half wall will take most of the load. Or if need be I can do 1 cabinet in the middle and 2 brackets for support on both sides. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Breakfast bar top

I've done similar things---usually the cabinet is set on a toe kick box and secured to the floor---but your cabinet is to short for that-----

to secure the top----what is the top make of? Wood? Stone? Formica?

Cot plywood to fill in the top of the cabinet so it is flush with the framing--secure with screws from inside of the cabinet---the faten the top to that new plywood filler---
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

Breakfast bar top

Thanks mike. Your post is a little hard for me to read/understand. I get I should attach a piece of plywood to the top of both cabinets to make them flush with the new counter top, but my question is will the cabinets be secure enough if I just mount then with screws? Or will there have to be brackets somewhere for the weight?

I plan on just getting a Formica or laminate top. Nothing heavy like a stone. If you guys can't tell I have zero experience with installing cabinets or counter tops. This is my first house so its a learning experience for me.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Breakfast bar top

The cabinets are strong enough to support the weight of a top and the usual things that get set on it---including an occasional persons butt.

The top of the cabinet will be mounted even with your wood framing----plywood is cut to fill in the top of the cabinet so you have a solid top and not the inch of airspace typical of cabinets with a face frame=

Post a picture of your cabinet----if it is a cheap put it together your self cabinet---you will have trouble---most of those are to weak to hold a counter top----

Make sure that knee wall is well built----strong ones often have the free end framing extend right through the floor and then solidly attached to the floor joists----

If the knee wall is less than the best----secure it better or consider getting a taller cabinet that could be attached to the floor---a wood 'toe kick' box is used to raise the cabinet up so it looks like a base cabinet.