Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Brace for ceiling fan?

Ok,
Had the garage closed in and floor raised. I am finishing off the interior.

After walling off the washer/dryer section, I am headed up into the attic tonight to move the light fixture forward a few feet, as it will be a fan in the future, and it isn't center of the room anymore.

My question is, it looks like it is there with a brace. Are the braces for fans and lights the same (the metal ones?) or should I just make my own out of a 2x4 nailed to the studs?

GoldenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Still Decompressing

Rewards Points: 197

Brace for ceiling fan?

A standard light recepticle is not rated to hold the weight of a ceiling fan.

You have a few options, depending on where your fan location lines up with the joists.

Assuming your using the same hole where the light was, you could get a Fan box rated for the increased weight and support it with 2x4 framing.

Or you can get a fan support box that mounts between the joists and gets nailed or screwed into the framing.

If you cannot easily get to the topside of this area, you can get a 'cheater' kit. There are a couple different suppliers, but they are pretty much the same concept. You get a threaded rod/support that you slide up inside the existing hole. You 'unscrew' to extent the rod until the cleats grab both joist. Then you bolt the fan outlet box onto the support rod. *kind of hard to explain, but its pretty self explanatory once you see it in person.

caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Brace for ceiling fan?

Why do you need a fan in a laundry room?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 510

Brace for ceiling fan?

What caveeagle said. Get a heavier duty box. Making a new brace out of 2x4 is cheaper, but the premade braces make it easier. They are stronger than the light brace you have, and telescope to fit. If you want to do it all from the bottom, the "cheaters" work great. You can buy them seperate or in a kit with the box. Are you using the old wiring? Is it long enough? Don't forget; connections gotta be in an accessible box.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote