Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #1

Share |

Blown-in Insulation

I want to insulate my house since it has none and its a fire hazard too. Its a three story Victorian built in 1888 with balloon framing. I can see the light in the basement from the third floor so I know its a straight shot. The walls have true 2x4 studs but they are rough sawn and there are nails from the siding coming through. I want to insulate from the inside due to the height of the house. Will cellulose insulation get caught up on the nails and rough wood?
jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Blown-in Insulation

it could. You need to have some experience to get this right. The hose should be placed right where the insulation is needed. You can hear the machine strain a little when the area is filled and then you move it up a little. Simply starting at the top and thinking it will all fall down and fill completely will not work. And unless it is completely backed you will still have air and heat losses.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

Blown-in Insulation

One suggestion about doing it from the inside, be prepared for dust, lots and lots of dust!!
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #4

Blown-in Insulation

I used blown in insulation in the attic of a garage this past summer. The above answers are absolutely correct. LOTS of dust and you need to place the hose where you want the insulation. You would need to run the hose all the way down the wall and slowly pull it up to the top. Which would be hard with the hose I used, think it was a 3-4" hose so would be hard to stick it down 3 stories of walls.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #5

Blown-in Insulation

The house is under complete remodel so dust is no issue. However, I would like to minimize the number of holes I have to make in the walls. Is there a better way than blowing in cellulose? Will fiberglass be any better?

My walls are true 2x4 so they really are 4" deep. If the hose is 3" it should fit as I was able to fit 3" PVC in the wall.

Any better ideas than making lots of holes? The foam stuff is cool, but is it DIY or only pro install?
jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #6

Blown-in Insulation

I do not believe there are any good solutions when it comes to making less holes. The hose is generally too rigid to be able to get it where you would think you could get it to go because of the size. For the best results I would assume you will just have to prepare yourself for a lot of patching. The cellulose is actually a better product than the pink stuff, better R value for product used.
mferguson0414 is offline   Reply With Quote