Blotchy & Streaky Refinish Job - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blotchy & Streaky Refinish Job

I have read through many of the posts on this site, but have not found a situation just like mine. Hope someone can help.

I started stripping and refinishing a 20 yr old bathroom vanity. it has an oak face frame and solid oak doors and drawers. My goal is to use a darker shade stain and give it a more modern look.

Before starting, I used an oak door I had removed from our bar as a test. Both are stained the same color adn seem to me to have been put in when the house was built. I stripped it, did a light sanding, and then stained it. I am using General Finishes water based Expresso wood stain (gel poly stain). I finished up with an aresol can poly finish. It turned out great, so I started on the vanity.

The stripping was fairly easy. I used Motsenbocker's Lift Off Paint & Varnish Remover; Water-Based Stripper--the same product I used on the test door. I then did a light sanding of the face frame, using an orbital sander and 180 grit, and wiped it down with a tack cloth. When I stained it, the stain came out blotchy and streaky. I do not have access to a sprayer, so I used a clean white cotton cloth to apply the stain. It looks horrible. I have not touched the drawers and doors until I figure out what is going on.

By using the orbital sander, did I mess up?
I only hand sanded the test door. Should I have used a filler?
Should I have used a dye on oak to get a more uniform color?
What should be my next step? Do I need to strip the new stain off?

Advertisement

craymer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't see in your procedure that you rinsed off the stripping material before staining.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #3

Ron,
Sorry for leaving that step out. I did a wter rince per the instructions of the stipper. Would you have any other thoughts on this?
craymer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #4

I don't think the sander is your problem. Maybe the stripper? I've tried using stripper on chair legs and also kitchen cabinets, and went back to my sander each time. In addition to the fumes, I don't like the result of the strippers. I always use a soft cloth to apply the varnish and a brush for the protectant over the varnish/stain after sanding and always get great results. It sounds like you might have to start over on your project.
nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

I don't think you are suppose to wipe the gel stain off.

I was just reading a blog post about this exact project and seeing as she has the same bathroom cabinets as I do, I will be following her directions.

Also, she put 3 coats of stain on and 2 coats of poly afterwards.

Your dry time is important too.

Here is her link: http://www.monicawantsit.com/2012/02...sso-color.html
MNDIY is offline   Reply With Quote