Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Lost..

Rewards Points: 258

Blocking out studs on a 45 degree corner?

I am going to frame a wall that has a 45 degree turn in it. I've done a 90 degree turn where you would use 3 studs to block it out, but I've never done an angle like this.

I have an illustration of how I think the bottom plate, top plate, and cap are supposed to be cut and placed. I'm not sure if the bottom plate is right though. Is the way I have it drawn correct, or should it be similar to the top plate or cap cuts?

And for the corner studs, how do I block the corner? When the studs run out at the end before the angle starts, the way I'm thinking it's done leaves a void on the outside corner. What is the correct way to block the corner?

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,196

You got the plates right.
What does the outside corner get covered with, Drywall? Plywood & Siding?

kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Lost..

plywood. probably done as cheaply as possible. I wouldn't be suprised if it is 1/8". Hopefully it will be 1/4", but I'm not sure. I'm sure there will be some sort of corner moulding. It is a partition wall for an office at my work.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

no need to block the corner if the material is stiff enough. 1/2 inch drywall will carry 4 inches easy. 1/4 inch plywood or better should be okay, but here is the layout for a piece of solid blocking to fill the corner cut from a 2 x 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Blocking out studs on a 45 degree corner?-blocking.jpg  
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Lost..

So basicly if I feel that the pieces will not be supported by the void I need to fill it somehow. Either by a piece like you have drawn Jlhaslip, or just any piece cut to fit the void..?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

miter two 2x6 to make corner
sorry miter wrong word ,rip/chamfer two edges

Last edited by tpolk; 03-28-2010 at 08:58 AM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

This takes a little more wood, but is a heck of a lot easier.

You run only one piece through your table saw at a 45 degree rip. (Doesn't matter if you are right on the edge or not because this piece has plenty of face showing.)

Then you rip the two 2" pieces for the inside studs. (These DO need to be an honest 2"... and these 2' inside studs will work on a setup like this no matter what the wall corner angle is.)

Nail them together as shown to give two solid, non-twisting and interlocked "T" configurations. (This is especially important on today's extra tall walls.)

The hole you see drilled serves a two-fold purpose........ One hole (as shown) halfway up allows you to insert a fire foam wand in there to squirt a fire blocking. Two holes, one drilled in each of the 2" studs, allows for runnng lateral wires... after which you squirt the fire blocking foam in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Blocking out studs on a 45 degree corner?-cut-45-corner.jpg   Blocking out studs on a 45 degree corner?-cut-45-corner-2.jpg   Blocking out studs on a 45 degree corner?-cut-45-corner-3.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 04-01-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
This takes a little more wood, but is a heck of a lot easier.

You run only one piece through your table saw at a 45 degree rip. (Doesn't matter if you are right on the edge or not because this piece has plenty of face showing.)

Then you rip the two 2" pieces for the inside studs. (These DO need to be an honest 2"... and these 2' inside studs will work on a setup like this no matter what the wall corner angle is.)

Nail them together as shown to give two solid, non-twisting and interlocked "T" configurations. (This is especially important on today's extra tall walls.)

The hole you see drilled serves a two-fold purpose........ One hole (as shown) halfway up allows you to insert a fire foam wand in there to squirt a fire blocking. Two holes, one drilled in each of the 2" studs, allows for runnng lateral wires... after which you squirt the fire blocking foam in there.
Seriously amazed by your time and art skills with your pictures. What do you use to draw these up?

slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote