Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

best way to finish certain sections of my walls

How to temporarily "finish" hardwood floors? (I posted this post concerning my floors and The Wood Guy's response was so helpful I thought that perhaps I just need a bit more insight to help me along.)

Now - keep in mind, I'm doing everything on my own ... even things that I should be doing iwth someone (like when I hung sheetrock on our dropped ceiling - should have done that with someone but rigged up pulleys to do it myself...) because my hubbs is recovering from injuries, still.

So our house is crappy - it has old 1/4" wood paneling (or wallboard) in ALL the rooms - so our main goal when we started working on the house (3 years ago) was to remove all this old paneling and replace it all with sheetrock.
Easier said than done. Right now the only areas we have with new drywall are the livingroom/hallway - one bathroom and part of the kitchen and the kid's bedroom.

So - in the kitchen where I cut out the wall and installed the new backdoor I, now, have the old wall (1/4" paneling) meeting the fresh opening. I don't want to use the old wallboard to finish off around the new door. but I can't remove the old wallboard near the door because it's being occupied by the cabinets - so I have to leave it (we are planning on redoing hte cabinets...but that won't happen for quite some time)

What the best way, then, to meet new drywall with old wallboard when the materials and thicknesses are very different form eachother?

My only thought is to get wood (fake wood, probably) trim that's designed to traverse uneven wall sections and just decoratively frame the wall difference and then remove the old wallpaper...get it down to the wallboard, and prime/paint the walls to make it look decently finished.

Doe this idea sound like it's going to work like I want it to?

Last edited by Snav; 08-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I assume you are talking about outside corners?? You do them as you would any outside corner, with corner bead and mud. Cheap molding is not a good idea, since corners always take a beating.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Ok, I'll give it a try and see if I can blend things in smoothly - I'll look into how to get mud to stick to paneling (the 1/4" wallboard) - I'll probably have to sand/prime it.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Renovation Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

snav

First of all my best to your husband as I can relate to the injuries. I am 5 weeks out of having c6 and c7 vertebrae fused after breaking my neck so give him my best for a complete and speedy recovery. Second congrats to you for being so courageous to tackle thee projects and hopefully we can get you to some solutions that will make that "crappy" house look just a little better.

I am having a hard time envisioning your project, have a picture or two by chance? Also if it is an outside corner that has paneling and sheetrock coming together at a 90 degree corner there are outside wood corners that you can buy and put on with finish nails. This is a common application to a paneled wall and if this in fact might work for you.

I hope that this helped and if you have further question please do not hesitate to post them here and we will help you the best we can. Once again good luck and the best to you and your husband and be safe!
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Here's a picture of the area.

The section of the wall removed to make room for the door is still bare, studs showing - just insulated with foam.
On the left of the door-frame is the new wall which has drywall. I'll finish this corner off like a traditional drywall corner.

The right side of the door, though, is where the unfinished door-opening meets with the old wallboard (1/4" thick) - which I have to leave in place for right now because I'm not going to be redoing the kitchen cabinets.

So where the bare studs are showing I was going to skin it with drywall - and where this new drywall meets the old wallboard there will be a thickness difference. So this difference is what I'm trying to "smooth out"

*edit* Of course i forgot to add in the picture.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Renovation Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

snav

let me get this straight the old wallboard to the right of the door is 1/4" thick? if this is the case then you can just get 1/4" drywall, ccut back the old drywall to the center of the studs and add the rock to the area tape it and call it good. You could also leave it until you redo the cabs too.

If I am wrong on my interpretation of what you are saying please correct me. I have another question for you. how far is it from the stud to the inside shoulder of the door jamb?

Thanks and I await your reply

Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote