Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Share |

Best Shower

Hey Guys,

Im planning on redoing my bathroom in the next few weeks. Im not worried about the sink or toilet, but I was wondering what kind of showers you liked? I plan on removing my tub. and was planning on inserting a 36 by 36 or maybe even a full size shower. Just wondering what kind you liked? or was easy to install? Im looking to spend ls then a grand. Thank Guys! Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Best Shower

The post is a little vague on details and a little confusing. If you want to stay within a certain budget, pick materials that satisfy those parameters.
There is no,"best" shower, there's the shower you can afford with your budget.
A 60 x 30 shower base will cost more then a 36x36 one.
Are you tiling the walls?
Are you putting up a glass door?
All these items have a range of prices.
Write up scenarios and price them out on a case by case basis.
Is, "ls then a grand" the same as less then a grand?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

Best Shower

The $1000 limit could throw a wrench in the works. There are lots of cheap plastic and fiberglass shower units available. Some are cheap junk, some are just OK. Since a shower is not something that gets changed often, go with something that will last. But if this is the only tub in the house, changing that to a shower could hurt future sale.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Best Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The post is a little vague on details and a little confusing. If you want to stay within a certain budget, pick materials that satisfy those parameters.
There is no,"best" shower, there's the shower you can afford with your budget.
A 60 x 30 shower base will cost more then a 36x36 one.
Are you tiling the walls?
Are you putting up a glass door?
All these items have a range of prices.
Write up scenarios and price them out on a case by case basis.
Is, "ls then a grand" the same as less then a grand?
Ron
I apologize. I wrote that without reading it over.
I would like to put about 1000 dollars into the shower as long as it is a decent one. Not a junk one. Im about 230-240lbs So having a solid one is important to me. Im also a big fan of doing it right the first time.

Ive really only looked at home depot and big box stores. I'm not really sure even what the other options for me are. I do not feel comfortable with tiling yet. So I am thinking a full shower insert would be ideal. Maybe a 3 piece. I am debating between a door and a curtain. I think the door would look nice, but its also more expensive and if I could put the difference into a shower to get a better one I would. I have room were the tub was so about 35x60. Im thinking a 36x36 shower is a bit to small. So I was looking into 36x48. Do you have any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
The $1000 limit could throw a wrench in the works. There are lots of cheap plastic and fiberglass shower units available. Some are cheap junk, some are just OK. Since a shower is not something that gets changed often, go with something that will last. But if this is the only tub in the house, changing that to a shower could hurt future sale.
Thank you for the reply, what do you think I would be paying for a better unit? I would like to get about 10 years of life from it. I have another tub on the main floor so I feel that I would be ok with replacing with a shower.

Thanks Guys!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Best Shower

The Kohler Salient cast iron receptor gets my vote for durability http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...=2&category=12 . They can be had in the $4-500.00 range at stores other than Kohler. Kind of hard to beat cast iron for durability. The flimsy models they sell at the home improvement stores don't look like they would survive the trip home.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #6

Best Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
The Kohler Salient cast iron receptor gets my vote for durability http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...=2&category=12 . They can be had in the $4-500.00 range at stores other than Kohler. Kind of hard to beat cast iron for durability. The flimsy models they sell at the home improvement stores don't look like they would survive the trip home.
Thank you, so can i get the rest of the shower that fits that, or do I need to tile from there? Sorry this is my first house, and there is much to learn....
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

Best Shower

That is designed for tile which you can spend as much as you want for. If you are on a budget, keep your eyes open for sales and discontinued tiles.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #8

Best Shower

thanks jim, Im worried about tiling myself. Maybe ill do some research.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #9

Best Shower

I did my tub surround in tile. I did do a lot of research and asked a lot of questions. Pages 2-4 of Jim's downstairs bathroom project best describe the steps to this process. For a shower suround I would recommend you put Hydroban on the shower walls. There is a greater need for water control in a shower surround. I would not put the moisture barrier behind the Durrock and I would spend the extra on the Hydroban over the Red Guard for piece of mind. My tile work is not perfect but it is watertight and looks good enough.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Experienced

Best Shower

Have you looked at doing your own shower base?

It really isn't that difficult, just alot of labor and there are many sites out there that have the information, including this one.

The comparison, fiberglass pan -----300+, concrete base (made to any size you want) about 150 depending on what type of tile you put in.

There are kits to get the pre-slope and drain pan slope correct and are realitively easy to use.

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Til...ard-Shower-Kit
Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #11

Best Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Have you looked at doing your own shower base?

It really isn't that difficult, just alot of labor and there are many sites out there that have the information, including this one.

The comparison, fiberglass pan -----300+, concrete base (made to any size you want) about 150 depending on what type of tile you put in.

There are kits to get the pre-slope and drain pan slope correct and are realitively easy to use.

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Til...ard-Shower-Kit
No I havent, It doesnt look that hard. I will look into them. Im also looking into new construction showers. Just not sure if I will be able to get into the bathroom.

I guess Im confused. It looks like you buy a shower, then some type of a pan, either homemade or premade right?

Thanks!