DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Best Practices for Framing Nail size

51K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Kingfisher 
#1 ·
My question is to Stick Framing Contractors;
I have read that using 16d nails is recommended for carries loads in residential structures. According to nail charts 16d is an 8 gauge nail (0.162in dia) between 3" and 3-1/2" long. I have searched on line for air framing nailer guns that accept true 16d nails and have found only a few. Once more the nails that go in such guns are even more scarce. What if have found is a boat load of guns and nails available with a shank dia. of 0.131in, claming to be 16d.
How can a nail be classified as a 16d and have two different shank dia.? Also which shank dia. is the appropriate nail to use for residential structural framing?

#6 ·
LOL, Well sometimes yes, sometimes no. By now I just kind of remember what to use for different things. But switching over from hand nailing to gun nailing the tables came in handy. Another nice thing about using them is that you can pull it out if an inspector starts questioning something though around here they rarely question HO framing.

#5 ·
Just a heads up. 16D is 3 1/2", 12 D is 3 1/4" and 10D is 3". I can walk into any Home Depot and find 16D nails. Are you referring to 16D nails with full heads? If you've found a few nail guns that accept the 16D nails, what's the issue? You only need one to do the job. You should find out whether your locality has restrictions on these nails. Some places do not allow you to use the clipped head nails anymore.
Ron

#7 ·
And speaking of 16D hand nails. Don't forget there are 16D common, 16D box and 16D sinkers - all different sizes. And most of the guys at HD don't know the difference. And most HDs don't carry 50lb boxes of all three sizes. So if you go in to HD for a box of 16Ds you better look carefully to see if you are getting what you want.

Combine that with the 16D nail gun nails that seem to be a variety of sizes and it just becomes easier to use the diameter and length and the ESR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.