Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Best place to order PAINT GRADE doors and drawers?

My wife and I have been patiently waiting for a new custom kitchen to be built and installed for us at cost from her dad, a cabinet maker. However, he has simply been booked solid and can't seem to squeeze us in (plus, we are 5 hours away). We want to sell and with the market picking up a bit, we don't want to wait. But our kitchen needs and overhaul.

Painting the current doors and drawers won't do; they are 25 years old, way outdated and extremely worn. We will sand, prime and paint the existing cabinetry (KNOTTY pine) and the new door and drawers to match.

If not a specific retailer/manufacturer to order from (there are SO many), what is the best wood/material to use? We don't want to spend a lot on an expensive hardwood that isn't the best surface to accept paint. But we don't want something so soft that it will ding easily (we have small children).

Also, any tips for undertaking such a project would be appreciated. I know all about encountering unforeseen issues...

Thanks!!

7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

IMO, if your planning to sell, you'll never recover the value of a new kitchen. However your home may sell faster.

Are your kitchen cabinets 'face frame' or euro style. Send the doors to your father and have him refinish them. Replace the hardware if needed. A new countertop? Paint the walls. You'll have a clean kitchen ready to sell.

If your planning on staying for awhile...gut the kitchen, redesign the layout to suit your needs and enjoy.

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Decore-ative Specialties makes nice, inexpensive doors and drawers. You could get MDF and paint them. Be forewarned, though, that it isn't just the painting - getting the hinges, and drawer slides, and alignments right requires a fair amount of work, done to a very high standard. It's doable, but if you haven't done it before, all that stuff will take much more time than the sanding and finishing, maybe an hour or 2 or 3 per door or drawer, by the time you're done.

Whether or not it makes sense for you to do it, I'll let other folks debate with you.
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

cabinetdoorsdepot.com seems to do some decent work, and has received good reviews from what I've found. I'm in the same boat as you, 30 year old knotty pine cabinets. The boxes are in good shape, but the face frames and doors need updating. I'll be painting the faces, and getting new doors and drawer fronts in paint grade maple. It's about $10 / sq. ft., with a $15 minimum per door.
wetech is offline   Reply With Quote